British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread tonight. I had an awful day at work and have insomnia as a result. Right stressed.

I love it.

One question in my mind, why is there such a massive hitch at the back? It looks out of scale with the rest of the trailer. Were they daisy chained together with other types, I may have missed something explaing this i think.

R

Hi Robin,

Glad you've enjoyed it.

All the British 10 cwt lightweight trailers had an extra rear hitch.

The early WWII type was cast steel, a little smaller overall with a smaller towing eye. The later WWII/immediate post-war hitches fitted to the two trailers on this thread are constructed of folded and welded steel plate and had a slightly large eye.

They might look massive but are actually considerably lighter than the large cast versions of similar appearance, fitted to British military trucks of the period.

Yes, you are correct, all these trailers were designed to be towed in multiples. A Jeep could tow two standard 10cwt GS trailers, or I have read of 2 Jeeps being A-framed together to tow three trailers.

The two REME trailers in this thread are both heavy when fitted with all their kit and I doubt that a single Jeep would have towed two together. But a larger truck could have and the rear hitch enabled that flexibility.

A weekend of mainly small detailing.

The standard 10 cwt trailer wiring with, Lucas 4-way circular connector block, switch and Convoy Lamp and rear sidelight. I use cloth braided 2-core wiring:

IMG_5585 (1024x768).jpg

As the usual white plate fitted on centre of axle on GS trailers will not work here, I've adopted the same style circular while disc as was fitted on my Lightweight 100 Water Bowser:

IMG_5614 (1024x768).jpg

Also fitted the usual "T-Plate":

IMG_5613 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_2131 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5608 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5609 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5611 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5612 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5616 (1024x768).jpg

One item of the original kit I'd been searching for for months is the vice that would have been bolted onto the nearside locker. Earlier in the thread I'd posted contemporary photos of a MUREX trailer with the vice in place, but I could not find out what make and model it was.

I eventually found out that three holes in the trailer would exactly fit a Record 21 vice. This model does not seem to be that common, with the larger Record 25 and the smaller 3 appearing far more often for sale.

Anyway I finally obtained one via Ebay. It had been refurbished, but has been well used and was certainly very old.

Quick coat of the grey paint I use on these trailer vices and another part is complete:

IMG_5619 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5605 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5607 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5615 (1024x768).jpg

Regarding small details....one of the hardest items to find for the !0 cwt trailer restorations is the small blanking socket that is fixed to the front chassis and designed for the Butler plug to be "parked" in when not connected into the towing vehicle.

This one fitted today (first photos shows original holes in chassis which fitted the socket exactly). Just need to complete the wiring into the plug:

IMG_5621 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5618 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5620 (1024x768).jpg

After 18 months the trailer is 99% complete. Thought I'd take a few shots in the sun with welding bench and cables etc laid out:

IMG_5623 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5630 (1024x768).jpg

The last job will be to order some stencils from Axholme Signs and add an invasion star and appropriate "X-" numbers (when I decide what it is).

I sent off my cheque to the RLC Museum a few weeks ago to see if they can find any information based on its military number when cast.

If RLC reply that there is no record, I'll use an "X-number" around those featured on the two period sets of photos I have.....but worth waiting a little longer because as soon as I mark it up with one of those, the RLC will tell me its real number!

Anyway, hope you've found this detailed restoration thread of some interest and that it will be useful to anyone else working on one of these rare REME trailers.

Cheers

John

IMG_5624 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5625 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5626 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5627 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5629 (1024x768).jpg

John - do those Butler sockets to "park" the trailer connection have a spring inside to ensure retention of the socket - and are they always bent through 90 degrees? I have a well rusted example which I harvested from one of the 10cwt trailer parts I acquired with my 10cwt GS - (although I have to admit that I didn't know what it was until reading your post above) but if they're rare, that might be my best bet in the short term pending discovery of a better example.

Any advice welcome.

thanks

Simon King

John - do those Butler sockets to "park" the trailer connection have a spring inside to ensure retention of the socket - and are they always bent through 90 degrees? I have a well rusted example which I harvested from one of the 10cwt trailer parts I acquired with my 10cwt GS - (although I have to admit that I didn't know what it was until reading your post above) but if they're rare, that might be my best bet in the short term pending discovery of a better example.

Any advice welcome.

thanks

Simon King

Hi Simon,

Yes there are two spring loaded brass cylinders that hold the Butler plug in place. Springs are housed in the blank cap.

I've only ever seen ones that have the 90 deg bend, but as I said they are rare and that is just based on only a couple of others I've ever seen.

Hi Simon,

Yes there are two spring loaded brass cylinders that hold the Butler plug in place. Springs are housed in the blank cap.

I've only ever seen ones that have the 90 deg bend, but as I said they are rare and that is just based on only a couple of others I've ever seen.

Thanks John - unfortunately I've only got the outer shell - and that has a hole at the back On that evidence, I thought it was for a wire to come out of the socket so I had assumed that the trailer wiring finished/started at this socket and that the connector between jeep and trailer had plugs at either end. Clearly I got the wrong end of the stick.

I have an old scrap jeep wiring loom with the spring loaded connectors for the tail lights. Could I adapt one of those fittings to provide the innards for this socket - did I understand you right?

Thanks again

sk

Thanks John - unfortunately I've only got the outer shell - and that has a hole at the back On that evidence, I thought it was for a wire to come out of the socket so I had assumed that the trailer wiring finished/started at this socket and that the connector between jeep and trailer had plugs at either end. Clearly I got the wrong end of the stick.

I have an old scrap jeep wiring loom with the spring loaded connectors for the tail lights. Could I adapt one of those fittings to provide the innards for this socket - did I understand you right?

Thanks again

sk

Simon,

You can make up the spring loaded connectors from any source of small springs so something from the tail lights might fit if they will fit inside the rear blanking cap. All that you looking to replicate is a means of holding the plug under tension against the slotted holes in the front half of he socket.

Below are some photos form the Electrical Repair Trailer (that came with one these "plug parking sockets" fitted, hopefully give a clearer view?

IMG_1637 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0537 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1633 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1634 (1024x768).jpg

Thanks John

If I recall correctly mine came with the corroded remains of a single spring (of the internal diameter of the socket) and no blanking plate at the back of the socket. I can just about make out a Butler B-WD-"something" stamp in the metal but it's so corroded (and bent in places) that some serious work with Milliput is required to make it looking something like presentable. It had been bent to fit as the bend was through the middle of second of the holes - allowing only one nut/nolt to be used to attach it to the neck.

Were there both Lucas and Butler versions of these particular "teardrop shaped" electrical fittings ?

sk

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been following this thread for some time, Very nice work!

Recently i found an original 10 cwt binned trailer in France. Do you happen to have any information on these trailers?

It has a data plate with following information:

No 1 mk II

Contract number C7945

Chassis number: OE 16847

Census number: X6149147

Would the makers of this trailer be Orme and Evans?

What would be the year of manufacturing?

Where would the Convoy light switch have been placed? Convoy light and plate are there but the switch and bracket is gone.

It's quite complete but like most trailers it's missing the support legs (have one which is bent...), both brackets are present though.

I'm still looking for:

-A trailer ''T'' plate

-A rear hitch (would this trailer have had the Early or late model hitch?)

Thanks,

Niek

P1030029.jpg

P1030028.jpg

10419067_748991261817874_2071685868259478286_n.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

Hi' date='

I've been following this thread for some time, Very nice work!

Recently i found an original 10 cwt binned trailer in France. Do you happen to have any information on these trailers?

It has a data plate with following information:

No 1 mk II

Contract number C7945

Chassis number: OE 16847

Census number: X6149147

Would the makers of this trailer be Orme and Evans?

What would be the year of manufacturing?

Where would the Convoy light switch have been placed? Convoy light and plate are there but the switch and bracket is gone.

It's quite complete but like most trailers it's missing the support legs (have one which is bent...), both brackets are present though.

I'm still looking for:

-A trailer ''T'' plate

-A rear hitch (would this trailer have had the Early or late model hitch?)

Thanks,

Niek[/quote']

Hi Niek,

Good to meet you last week.

Like your new trailer, very rare never seen a real one before; only ever seen a very good reproduction made from a couple of photos.

It was made by Orme Evans. I'd have thought in 1944.

You'll have seen how I easily made new legs for this 10 cwt trailers

The hitch would have been the same version as you can see on my trailers on this thread. Made from folded and welded steel plate.

Are there any marks or welds on the underside at the back? or a set of three holes on the rear cross member? Both options were used for the Lucas switch.

The T-plate ... just have to keep a ebay search on as they do occasionally come up for sale.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

Hi John where did you get those copper 'P' clips and braided wiring from please ?

A weekend of mainly small detailing.

The standard 10 cwt trailer wiring with, Lucas 4-way circular connector block, switch and Convoy Lamp and rear sidelight. I use cloth braided 2-core wiring:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89925[/ATTACH]

As the usual white plate fitted on centre of axle on GS trailers will not work here, I've adopted the same style circular while disc as was fitted on my Lightweight 100 Water Bowser:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89932[/ATTACH]

Also fitted the usual "T-Plate":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89930[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ian L

Simon,

You can make up the spring loaded connectors from any source of small springs so something from the tail lights might fit if they will fit inside the rear blanking cap. All that you looking to replicate is a means of holding the plug under tension against the slotted holes in the front half of he socket.

Below are some photos form the Electrical Repair Trailer (that came with one these "plug parking sockets" fitted, hopefully give a clearer view?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90060[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90063[/ATTACH]

Hello on my trailer project you can just see plug parking socket.I just made again a start on my trailer after some work on different projects.

IMG_1286.jpg

Guy

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Having enjoyed restoring the MUREX Welder, I found that I only really needed 3 trailers and have sold it to a very keen collector of British WWII equipment in the USA.

Today it went off the shippers, appropriately towed by the same V8 LR that recovered it 3 years ago.

I hope in due course Paul will eventually post up some photos of it at a shows and displays in the US on this thread:

IMG_1868 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1855 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1856 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1859 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1860 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1867 (1024x768).jpg

• 7 months later...

After thinking I'd had enough of British lightweight trailers for a while....another has come along.

As these are really quite rare its a case of "buy it when you can"....so I did and am sharing 50/50 with Tony Lawrence (you can imagine how delighted our wives are....)

It will be a long term project to return to WWI spec, but looks in remarkable condition and has been in dry storage for last 6 years. It is said to have been used shortly before it went into storage.

Strangely it came from the same part of Norfolk/Suffolk as my last MUREX.

It appears to have had a number of post-war mods but it is clearly very similar to the one now residing in USA. Anyway a few photos. We'll try to start it soon and strike an arc.

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

H John, I was the other high bidder on the trailer, it wasn't advertised very well and I thought I'd struck lucky, glad it's gone to a good home though.

it looks taller than the other one you had.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've just been comparing photos of my original MUREX with this one. It looks like this is on a very well made extra frame that raises it on the sprung sub-chassis. Certainly makes it easier to work on, but believe the original lower version was so that it could fit into limited height Horsa glider main spar (ala airborne Jeep's removable steering wheel).

We'd like to start and try welding with it first before we take any steps to return to original height....but that will be a longer term project.

Hopefully also we can compare the engine with the one on my Lightweight compressor trailer (see appropriate thread). having stripped the engine, re-ground the valves and seats we have a good spark but when the plugs are fitted they won't even ignite Easi-start. Now we have an engine that apparently works we might be able to do something or see where we have gone wrong with the compressor trailer engine. Also I have sent off for what may be some sort of manual from the National Records office at Kew (or it maybe what I already have - I won't know until the end of the month)

However, all in all another recruit for the Surrey Trailer Trash group