1943 GPW British Canadian ambulance jeep ...help needed

guardsman1036

Hi all,

Need some help on two fronts

1) Realized a long term dream to own a jeep with British history & have become custodian of a Ford GPW 1943 Canadian Ambulance jeep - service number 4242373 [CM] discharged & registered in December 1946. I have original items including tubular brackets that fix to the rear of the tub for what i call the 'tubular stretcher frame/support that was removable. She also has the front bonnet hole for the red cross staff/flag. I have searched google & found many distance shots of the framework but could realy do with some detail shots/drawings/ close shots ....any assistance in an attempt to remake this framework. Oddy the tub has holes exiting the rear of the tub as well [suggesting the use of an overhanging frame to the rear. .......i will post some pictures at weekend assuming its not to tricky!

2) if any knolledgeable jeep guys live anywhere near us [hythe] and are able to look over my jeep from a maintenance point of view i would be grateful. .....i have started going through the manual - changed oil & filters etc but could do with an experienced eye just to point is in right direction. Shes a runner & I have been using her but have a fw concerns.

Thanks in advance for any assistance as I want to keep this old girl on the road & try and put her back to her wartime status

Cheers

karl

Thanks for the photos , i have seen the first 3 but the others are new to me ....amazing how you guys know so much.

I am trying to work out how to post pictures at the moment and will loads some if able to ...then perhaps i will be proven wrong .....mybe the mods were for farming in 1972!

My location is near Hythe Kent. I am not looking for a fee ride and somebody to do work for me, but a mentor to guide me so i do not damage anything and learn quickly [did have some 'not jeep' help which resulted in us breaking a few bits recently!]

Thanks

Karl

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the photos ...keep em coming if you see any more. The one of the rear framework hanging off the back looks interesting and have not seen before in colour

I am trying to attach 2 pictures below

1 - of the buillt in tube structure at the corner of the rear tub bins which go through the thin sheet by 1" into the stowage area.

2- What is this item , which was on the rear of the tub prior to restoration [left hand / n side] of rear of tub next to spare wheel ? .....any ideas. Not sure if from its wartime use or for popping beers open after a hard days harvesting?

Again thanks for photos

Karl

gpw002 (2).jpg

gpw002 (1).jpg

Hi

As previous opening thread , anybody near hythe kent able to give advise on jeep issues, as had thought i had done a good job of restoring cooling pipes/hoses/thermopstate housing ...only to find today she is again leaking from bottom hose on rad and also what appears to be water at base of thrmostate housing [fitted original ford f marked gasket from Jeffrey Engineering] ...would like to finish one job & move on rather than keep going over same things ....Ah the joys of green stuff.

Cheers

K

waterleak1.jpg

Hi,

Cheers for pictures, again i have not seen these ones.

Would be nice if someone could put us in touch with anybody who has restored a British Canadian ambulance jeep ...may be a long shot tho.

Thanks for all the ahelp so far, shame no one local able to advise on maintenance issues

PS - does anybody think the rear exit hole in back of tub is to do with her war configeration?

Cheers

Karl

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Karl

There were a few different versions of the CDN Stretcher Jeep.

The bunk bed style originally had brackets bolted onto the front sides and rear of the body to hold the frame. The spare tire and fuel carrier were relocated and the front passenger seat back was hinged. The later version had the frames attached to the body with clamps.The front brackets attached to the door strap hooks and the drain holes were enlarged for the base to sit in.

You can see the two different styles in the earlier photos.

There were also different two stretcher versions, which mounted on the rear. The original had a wooden frame, while the airborne mod had a folding bracket. The last version had a bolted on extension for the stretchers.

Your rear corner mount tube does not look like part of any stretcher frame structure that i know off. unless it was for a frame

for an overhead canvas protection.

You can e-mail me at cmpmagazine@hotmail.com.

I am collecting data on CDN WW2 Jeeps and trailers.

Thanks

Eric