scammell pioneer SV2S recovery restoration

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one - brilliant.

Looks pretty complete, good luck with your resto.

Have a look at my blog of the resto of ours, i'll gladly help you out with any problems we've already encountered and point you in the direction of any off-the-shelf bits i've bought so far.

Where abouts are you located?

My blog: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?3975-Scammell-Pioneer-Restoration

Richard

yeah its all there apart from passenger seat frame and origonal mirrows and indicators thats all we can see thats not there,apart from painting the rear body and cab is were most work is requied.

richard

we are located in halifax west yorkshire, your knowledge if need will be most helpfull i will take a look at your blog :)

The woodwork on my boxes was like yours at first, could never get paint to stick on the dry grey bits until I found Owatrol Oil.

Stripped it all back and put a couple of coats of it on under the paint couple of years ago, and nothings peeling yet.

read the description here for more info.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWATROL-OIL-500ml-PAINT-CONDITONER-RUST-INHIBITOR-/180459921603#vi-content

if any one knows were to get a exhaust silencer for the scammel wouch be good as ours is beyond repair

I think you'll have to be very lucky to find a silencer, unless you can find a vehicle that is being broken up. I know of one possibility which i'll enquire, but i think its all gone now. I'm making a stainless one for ours.

I have the complete workshop and drivers manuals in pdf format. If you want me to email or burn them onto a CD and send PM me.

Richard

we have started our scammell restoration and our first mechanical problem the clutch brake mecanism. we need a new clutch shaft , a new clutch flange and clutch stop drum assembley, dose any body know were we could source some of these parts??

Also are therse parts the same on other scammell vehicals with the seperate 6-speed gearbox?

• 2 weeks later...
Can you put up a picture of your coupling? There have been a few variations, some seem to have loose rubbers retained by plates, these should be easy to cast. I have cast two couplings for my explorer, it is not as hard as you might think...

My pioneer has the coupling with the rubbers held in by a plate held down with two bolts ,mine failed several years ago i repaired it by cutting sections from a large vee belt which came from a combine its still there and i still use the scammell for the odd recovery job

Half of mine is at home at the moment, due to the gearbox rebuild, so i'll get some pics at the weekend and post.

I believe the Pioneer ones were segments of rubber held in by plates and bolts, whereas the Explorer ones are alternating segments of rubber and aluminium actually bonded together, maybe hot vulcanised.

Stand by, Richard

Its not uncommon to find the input shaft has been changed to a 4 hole type from a 3 hole type. We have a Pioneer with one of each fitted. These couplings are something of an achiles heel for the ageing Pioneer nowadays. There is a guy down south who makes 4 bolt couplings new but I havent come across any source for 3 bolt type.

• 3 weeks later...