A2 flight jacket

craig

I have recently got one of the s.o.f A2 replica jackets, my question is does any one have any tips on breaking it in fast as currently the leather is stiff and unconfortable, the elasticated waist and cuffs are tight. Any tips greatly achieved in ageing my jacket.

• 7 months later...

call me a moron if you want get it soaking wet wear it on your back and just wear it non stop dont look after it in general. if its a good one it will end up fitting like a glove and you will grow to like it. if its crap it will fall about around you. the guys who had them issued originally took what they where given and they wore and worked in them the jackets became icons but they were given the best that could be bought in budget. today people think price dearest means best and they have to be looked after

Wearing it is the only way to make it look used. Yes i do have one and i like it

its title is a flight jacket and thats what i do with it its been to 58 different countries and islands up to now. wife goes ape**** when we go go on holiday but to me its my lucky talisman

Edited by cosrec

Probably not what you want to hear Craig,cannot remember where i read a review on one of these SOF A2s but remember the comments regarding how awful they were with the leather being cheap and nasty and the finish sort of painted on and not dyed as better quality A2s would be.

.....give it a good scragging with some fine sandpaper around the elbows and general wear areas...then drag it around the floor and put it on and rub the shoulders and arms up against a brick wall .....also like someone else said....get it wet ...but hang it on the line in the sun to slowly dry out otherwise if it's cheap leather it'll shrink.....another good one is to rub it over with a house brick....

...ooooppps hang on !

revealed all my 'vintaging' tricks of the trade there hahaha :cool2:

just remembered....if it's softening up it needs...????

2 products are really good .....either find a saddlers and buy a bottle of Neatsfoot Oil...usually used for softening and nourishing horse bridles and saddles and such like........or go to a motorbike shop and get some stuff called something like Derapur..(???)....it's a bit like vaseline to look at and you simply rub it in to any leather and it softens and waterproofs it in some order....

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Neatsfoot (Cows) oil will soften the leather but darken it. Saddle soap applied with a damp, not wet sponge, it is not supposed to foam. Or the best I've found Nikwax leather conditioner followed by the waterprooffing gel. That will soften it but not change the colour to badly. If you want a scruffy type appaerance, gret a bottle of vegtable oil from the supermarket and use that. Any oil used will give some blottching appaerance as the leather absorbs oil at a diffrent rate in diffrent places.