New Red Log Books (V5C)

Received the first of several new style vehicle registration certificates - the front cover is covered in red.

Apparently a load of certificates were stolen, so DVLA is having to replace all existing log books with the 'red' ones to try to minimise the risk of vehicle cloning using the stolen certificates. They expect to have them all issued by Nov 2012. Expensive exercise.....

Oh, and if you buy a vehicle before Nov 2012 perhaps a good idea to do a check on the registration?

I,ve received a red replacement, but wonder when these thefts took place as I bought a vehicle over a year ago & was given one of the new red ones.

I think it was a couple of years ago that thousands of blue logbooks were "misplaced"

In fact it was 2006 according to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8487381.stm

The explanitary notes with the new red V5C gives the reason being due to the number of stolen older types in circulation. However as usual there is always a ulterior motive - the new log books do not have the tick box to scrap the vehicle yourself (no note of this with their explanation of reason) ...

First of mine arrived today - for type 95 Assb. Apparently every single blue log book is being replaced because Swansea were inept enough to lose a whole pile of blue documents, Given the state of the public purse these days I would hope who ever was responsible for this "loss" is now enjoying the delights of dealing with a job centre and no pay or pension. :mad:

First of mine arrived today - for type 95 Assb. Apparently every single blue log book is being replaced because Swansea were inept enough to lose a whole pile of blue documents, Given the state of the public purse these days I would hope who ever was responsible for this "loss" is now enjoying the delights of dealing with a job centre and no pay or pension. :mad:

Probably been promoted!

What an amazing waste of money, at a time when there's not enough to go around! If someone wants to forge a Log book, it's surely just as easy to make a red one, as use a stolen blue one especially when most people have no idea what a real one should look like!

So far I've had 2 of the 20+ log books I should have. I'll probably have sold all the vehicles before I get the proper paperwork!

Jules