Ferret fuel pump removal

Toolman

Question

Hello

I need a bit more advice. Having removed the engine deck and the oil cooler I'm gazing at the fuelpump thinking "can I even reach that far?"

Is there any easy way to remove the fuel pump? Do I need to remove the battery box to access it from under the fuel tank?

Also, when changing the fan belts, will I need to remove the rear armour and radiator to separate the fan in order to get the belts on, or can you disconnect the fan in situ?

Regards

Matt

13 answers to this question

Hello

I need a bit more advice. Having removed the engine deck and the oil cooler I'm gazing at the fuelpump thinking "can I even reach that far?"

Is there any easy way to remove the fuel pump? Do I need to remove the battery box to access it from under the fuel tank?

Also, when changing the fan belts, will I need to remove the rear armour and radiator to separate the fan in order to get the belts on, or can you disconnect the fan in situ?

Regards

Matt

Matt,

A very quick reply as I'm off to work. The pump can be removed by accessing it from under the tank, remove the battery box, and the snubber bracket behind it, with escape hatch off it is possible to reach in and do the whole job from there.

Belt change, remove the coupling from between the fan and pump, the fan will slide back slightly when bolts released. Not easy and not impossible, helps to have a starting handle to help wind new belts on.

regards, Richard

i managed to reach upper pump delivery pipe from engine side by removing cooler and engine deck think i had cross brace off as well then kneeling/laying on top of engine , and lwr one by reaching thru hull inspection plate richards method might be easier!

Matt,

A very quick reply as I'm off to work. The pump can be removed by accessing it from under the tank, remove the battery box, and the snubber bracket behind it, with escape hatch off it is possible to reach in and do the whole job from there.

regards, Richard

Got the swine off, using richards method as above. My back! Ouch!

Now comes the rebuild. I have got a NOS rebuild kit from MG, any tips or lessons learnt on fuel pump rebuild? I've downloaded the manual and will be following that closely. I don't want to put it all back together and have to take it all apart again :-)

MT

Now comes the rebuild. I have got a NOS rebuild kit from MG, any tips or lessons learnt on fuel pump rebuild? I've downloaded the manual and will be following that closely. I don't want to put it all back together and have to take it all apart again :-)

MT

The manual omits the fact that you need a 'special spanner' to hold part of the pump. Fugly Jim rebuilt his pump you could do with asking him how he went about it http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/member.php?5007-Fugly

I did say that it was a swine of a job, don't forget to make sure that the gauze is clear from obstructions at the carburettor elbow. Have a look inside you're tank as well for rust.

Edited by ferrettkitt

MT

Well done, so far. The spanner for holding the diaphragm spindle is a thin 3/16" AF cranked one, you could easily make one. Take a look at this linked thread from MLU forum, it will make you smile when you have read through it.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16094&highlight=colin+jones+ferret

having just read this thread i have maybe another silly question to add if you dont mind ?

are ferret lift pumps the same as the 2 on centurion meteor engine or would that be far to simple as we have one duff lift pump and one not so duff and am in need of 2 repair kits

sorry to stray slightly but seemed an opportune moment

cheers

Iain

having just read this thread i have maybe another silly question to add if you dont mind ?

are ferret lift pumps the same as the 2 on centurion meteor engine or would that be far to simple as we have one duff lift pump and one not so duff and am in need of 2 repair kits

sorry to stray slightly but seemed an opportune moment

cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

I know they are both David pumps, but not interchangeable from Meteor to B range engines. that said, the repair kit might be. Try calling Richard Banister, 01797 253211 in working hours, he may be able to supply you.

is there anything on the Ferret that ISNT a swine of a job??? :-D

I did my fan belt with fan still on. Check the pic here. I believe it was the coupler part that I removed.

Did your Fuel cause you problems or was it a general overhaul?

-Chris

120-2081_IMG..JPG

I did my fan belt with fan still on. Check the pic here. I believe it was the coupler part that I removed.

-Chris[ATTACH=CONFIG]53327[/ATTACH]

Thanks Chris

That pic is great. I have been trying to remove that coupling and decided that removing the rad and fan might be the best option, however I can see that it must be able to be done. did you have to pull out the rubber inserts in the coupling to get it out? I have a couple of bolts that are just too long to be able to be removed in situ, even though the nuts are removed.

The fan belt replacement is just a winter overhaul job, nothing to do with the fuel pump rebuild. One of many :-)

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Chris

That pic is great. I have been trying to remove that coupling and decided that removing the rad and fan might be the best option, however I can see that it must be able to be done. did you have to pull out the rubber inserts in the coupling to get it out? I have a couple of bolts that are just too long to be able to be removed in situ, even though the nuts are removed.

The fan belt replacement is just a winter overhaul job, nothing to do with the fuel pump rebuild. One of many :-)

Cheers

Matt

The rubber in the couplings doesn't come out. The bolts go through a metal sleeve with the rubber acting as flexible coupling. Each of those sleeves sits proud of the rubber and locates into the fan or the pully

-Chris

Thats the 'fun' of owning armoured vehicles

Edited by ferrettkitt