Armstrong siddeley cheetah engine

wildside

I have just aqquired an armstrong siddeley engine from an airspeed oxford and am looking for parts to restore it back to running condition! any help and or leads for parts would be greatly appreciated.I have since been told it is a very early mark of engine prewar apparently

jasons new toy.jpg

Edited by wildside

A.T.C. at Appleby-in-Westmorland had two Cheetahs and a box of bits. But that was a long, long , time ago. Got to be worth asking. I knew a fitter in the R.A.F. who claimed to have changed over 1000 cylinders, on Cheetahs from Ansons.

Best of luck, BillyH

I have started stripping the engine with only two cylinders and its amazing that every nut and bolt is undoing even the remains of the plug leads have unscrewed without heat or brute force only one nut had to be split. The connecting rods move and there was oil in one of the feed pipes. It shows how well these engines were maintained as this one has been buried since around 1945ish. I wonder what landrover would look like after being buried for over half a century?

I now have a nearly complete engine and with thanks to the local heavy mob of lads and my dad for picking it up from guildford I can now start on the long process of stripping checking and restoring this master piece of british engineering I am hoping to have it mounted and take it to some shows next year. The list of parts i need so far are two mags a claudel hobson 70m carb a starter motor propellor hub and a prop the list will probably get longer though.

Ive now got a new old stock carb brand new in its box repacked in 1965 and a new mag in its box. Ive started unscrewing the cylinders now to check the bores and rings and have nearly finished stripping the buried engine that I have. Also i can get the heads tig welded where they are damaged with the cylinders off as moving the engine to the welders would be a bit of a task. Hope fully some photos to follow soon.

• 11 months later...
I now have a nearly complete engine and with thanks to the local heavy mob of lads and my dad for picking it up from guildford I can now start on the long process of stripping checking and restoring this master piece of british engineering I am hoping to have it mounted and take it to some shows next year. The list of parts i need so far are two mags a claudel hobson 70m carb a starter motor propellor hub and a prop the list will probably get longer though.

Hi

I'm new to this site and found your postings while looking for info about other Armstrong-Siddeley engines. I am building a large scale model of a Lynx, which was the smaller and earlier brother of the Cheetah. I can't help with your restoration but hope by now it's well under way and maybe even finished. If so, congratulations. Did you get any bits from Eric Offen who I know had one of these for a while?

I am wondering if you could help me: I am interested to know how the design of cams and valve timings developed during those early years. Before making the cams for my Lynx I want to be sure as possible that they are right as I have no detail drawings. Would you consider sending me the timing events in degrees for the Cheetah if you have them and also a good photo of the cam ring (taken face on)? The other thing is the tappet clearance if you know what it should be or have worked it out. Maybe all this is still unknown to you in which case please forget abut it.

Thanks anyway.

Wez01

Hi there the engine is the one that offen had. I have now sold it as it was a bit much to do being partially disabled. the chap that bought it has all the parts that I needed and is aiming to get it running. I have also sold the merlin as well :( best of luck with your quest have you had a look at the historic aviation forum lots of info and very helpful people on there>

• 2 years later...

How's your project going ? Any photos

BH

TE=wildside;286432]Ive now got a new old stock carb brand new in its box repacked in 1965 and a new mag in its box. Ive started unscrewing the cylinders now to check the bores and rings and have nearly finished stripping the buried engine that I have. Also i can get the heads tig welded where they are damaged with the cylinders off as moving the engine to the welders would be a bit of a task. Hope fully some photos to follow soon.

Hows