Restoration, Bedford OYD GS 1943

ferret

Hi,

Just recieved my new project. Has been stood outside for a number of years, the rear was covered up so is in very good condition.

The cab as not weathered too well and there is a lot of corrosion. The brakes are seized on and no clutch. The engine starts well, the seller originally stopped using the truck because after a coulple of miles it would lose power, so this requires some investigation.

Hope you enjoy the mouldy photo's.

If you have any info on the trucks let me know.

Chris

bed 2.JPG

bed 1.JPG

bed 3.JPG

bed 5.JPG

bed 6.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Losing power? :cool2: Now you know why OY! OY ain't the *** going now? They are evily prone to gassing, also go through the ignition system very carfully, coils etc can cause such problems. Budget for a good electronic ignition system. If you really want to be difrent, I have a photo somwhere of one in German camo and markings.

Hi,

Just recieved my new project. Has been stood outside for a number of years, the rear was covered up so is in very good condition.

The cab as not weathered too well and there is a lot of corrosion. The brakes are seized on and no clutch. The engine starts well, the seller originally stopped using the truck because after a coulple of miles it would lose power, so this requires some investigation.

Hope you enjoy the mouldy photo's.

If you have any info on the trucks let me know.

Chris

Is this the one from the northeast that was on Milweb a month or two ago for £6,500ono ?

There's a realy nice looking one on Milweb at the moment for £5,500 http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=59256&cat=3

Good luck with here, the OY looks great & that might to be my next project after the QL.

Is this the one from the northeast that was on Milweb a month or two ago for £6,500ono ?

There's a realy nice looking one on Milweb at the moment for £5,500 http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=59256&cat=3

Good luck with here, the OY looks great & that might to be my next project after the QL.

Hi,

Yes was from the North East, but nothing like that sort of money!

Chris

Hi,

Yes was from the North East, but nothing like that sort of money!

Chris

Glad to hear it Chris, I didnt push it any further due to the distance and also had a QL lined up which arrived yesterday.

Look forward to seeing the restoration.

Ian

Hi Chris,

I'm pleased to see that this OY has survived. The previous owners were a friendly family, who used to attend our car show at Mellerstain every year, in the markings of HQ Royal Engineers, 50th Northumbrian Division

This OY having been restored, was on its way home from our show one year when a BMW? travelling too fast collided with it causing considerable damage. However, it was stripped down and rebuilt again.

Does it still have two folding steps on the tailgate instead of the usual one. If so I supplied the spare step, my only real contribution to restoring a WW2 vehicle.

Regards.

Dave.

Cleaned off the slimy mould yesterday, used car wash brush and Turtle wax car shampoo!

What a difference! Doesn't look half so bad now!

Easier to see the rot now. Windscreen is going to be the big problem. Can't get replacement surrounds.

truck clean 001.JPG

truck clean 002.JPG

truck clean 004.JPG

truck clean 005.JPG

Core plugs.

If you have the engine accessible at any time, get new core plugs in. Unfortunately there is one core plug on the back of the block hidden by the bellhousing. If you see coolant leaking down under the clutch area you have to take the whole !@£$%^& truck to pieces to replace the core plug.

Replacement of core plug - about sixty seconds.

Stripping down and building back up - about a week.

That's a nice example, you'll just have to figure out what to do with the screen, but get new core plugs and carry them with you, even if you don't fit them right away.

Been there, done that, twice.

Are parts for these fairly easy to pick up? I cant say i look but i never seem to see parts for old british trucks like this

All of the mechanical parts seem to be available from traders. But the body and trim parts don't seem to be available at all.

Windscreens eh? They can be done and I know just the man......Me!

Feel free to give me a shout (although best if you dont need them tomorrow because I have a bit of a waiting list...)

I also do an excellent line in Bedford (or any other big petrol actually) tune ups.

P7134251.jpg

P8014350.jpg

Windscreens eh? They can be done and I know just the man......Me!

Feel free to give me a shout (although best if you dont need them tomorrow because I have a bit of a waiting list...)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52284[/ATTACH]

I also do an excellent line in Bedford (or any other big petrol actually) tune ups.

Hi Paul do you make screen frames for the Bedford QL aswell ?

Hi,

Have stripped front end off and the parts have gone off for blasting. Radiator has gone off to be re-cored.

Have removed windscreens, one side will be ok with a little work and i have got replacement rubbers. The bottom half of the other side is completely rotten, I have taken it to a local fabricator to see if they can do anything with it. If not I will be giving Paul Brook a call.

Hopefully will be removing cylinder head next week!

My aim at the moment is to get the truck up and running so I can move it around under its own steam!

Chris

19th oct 001.JPG

19th oct 002.JPG

19th oct 003.JPG