Visit to the S130!

Jack

Right now off to Plymouth - spending the day with Kevin Wheatcroft and his team at the only surviving Schnellboot http://www.s130.co.uk/ Keith Nisbet and I are covering it for www.pathfinderonline.co.uk

- I am taking my molegrips, just in case they need a hand :coffee:

I was always told that name dropping is bad manners!!

Mark

It was a great day Jack

It was keith and sorry that we didn't have enough time to sit down and work a few things up that I wanted to discuss - but I was busy and you most of photographed every inch of her (her is actually a him - because it's German).

But stunning work Keith and I just need to sit down and work out how best to display this all on Pathfinder Online :sweat:

I was thinking driving back yesterday - that you would never of imagined in a million years that when the S130 was launched and when it came out of its operating base in Cherbourg - came across Operation Tiger that you, Steve and I, would, one day, be standing on the deck of the S130. This is what I like about this hobby and actually my life - you just don't know what other adventures are around the corner.

What I find amazing is the dedication in preserving history and the stories that are associated with that, as I mentioned I think S130 needs a structured photoshoot that will cover all aspects in more detail.

What I hope I have done with my images is give people a glimpse of the enormous task that has been undertaken by Kevin and his team!!!

Looking forward to seeing more of the Wheatcroft collection.

Keith

I always thought the S boats were of steel construction. Try to get a copy of Peter Scott's Battle of the Narrow Seas, beautiful photos and his pictures of various MTB's MGB'sSGB's S Boats and others (Yes the wildfowl, slimbridge Peter Scott) And , yes, S boats and other small craft were based in the Channel Island's from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see those photos of the work going on with the S boat, also refreshing to see a restorer branching out to preserve another historic machine other than his core concern.

What engines did an S boat have and are they still present?

Its a bit of a shame that the casually interested person like myself can't see the restoration gallery pictures unless we become Gold level sponsors.

While I understand the need to raise funds it does kind of shut the rest of us out. Its a bit of a double edged sword.

Oh well, we will wait to see what she looks like once completed, I wish them luck and good sponsorship

R

Edited by robin craig

Its a bit of a shame that the casually interested person like myself can't see the restoration gallery pictures unless we become Gold level sponsors.

While I understand the need to raise funds it does kind of shut the rest of us out. Its a bit of a double edged sword.

Oh well, we will wait to see what she looks like once completed, I wish them luck and good sponsorship

R

Yes but after having lost the tender to host the British Grand Prix at Donnington I imagine things are a bit tight nowadays!

20 Cylinder 2000hp MB501 V-engine as the standard S-boat powerplant.

The MB501 proved highly dependable and a versatile basis for later improvements such as the addition of superchargers.

The final versions of the MB501 could propel the 100 ton boat to speeds of 43.8 knots.

And Kevin has four of these :o)

IMG_7889_90_91_tonemapped_filtered.jpg

20 Cylinder 2000hp MB501 V-engine as the standard S-boat powerplant.

The MB501 proved highly dependable and a versatile basis for later improvements such as the addition of superchargers.

The final versions of the MB501 could propel the 100 ton boat to speeds of 43.8 knots.

And Kevin has four of these :o)

IMG_7889_90_91_tonemapped_filtered.jpg

Wow, thats a big engine.

Lets stick it in the Dodge.

R

Browse 'current projects' here instead: http://www.rovcom.co.uk/index.htm