Merryweather Valiant Steam fire/water pump

We have just aquired this.

Apparently a wartime Merryweather Valiant fire/water pump. This one apparently was found in a Milton Keynes scrap yard unused in what remained of its packing case, still painted khaki.

Does anybody know what the military used them for?, or any contemporary paperwork for one.

And if anybody has a trolley as pictured I would be very interested.

008_0652.jpg

008_0653.jpg

I would suggest as a water pump / fire pump. Not so outrageous as it seems as the cart , if original, has metal wheels, indicating use in tropical climes. Apparantly we had a termite problem in some of our overseas territories. Out in the field, water would have to be pumped out of deep wells. There are piccies all over the place showing Merryweather exports to the Colonies and overseas customers with metal wheels fitted instead of the usual wooden wheels common in Europe at the time.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

I would suggest as a water pump / fire pump. Not so outrageous as it seems as the cart , if original, has metal wheels, indicating use in tropical climes. Apparantly we had a termite problem in some of our overseas territories. Out in the field, water would have to be pumped out of deep wells. There are piccies all over the place showing Merryweather exports to the Colonies and overseas customers with metal wheels fitted instead of the usual wooden wheels common in Europe at the time.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

That cart is certainly an original, though unlikely to have been specific to the Valiant we bought (the trolley didnt come as part of the deal however).

I'm looking for one, if I cant find one I shall make one.

IIRC They were used as a fire pump in barracks and so on

The carriage was used later with two very large fire extinguishers on them

Interestingly some were converted/adapted to be used in bomb disposal as steam generators to steam explosive out of WW2 bombs

When I get home will dig out more info

Facinating bit of kit, have you tried it yet to see if it works?

Yes, fetched it from Farnborough on Saturday, and the vendor steamed it up for us. Its got a fresh boiler ticket

It will get another steaming probably one evening next week, It came minus the hoses etc and I have pretty much ordered everything I need now.