My 2011 Season in Pictures

It's become a bit of a ritual now to post a recap of my MV season here, and this year is no different, other than the fact I've had two vehicles to choose from all year. It's now the end of September, and while there's still one or two events around the region still to come, I'm either away elsewhere for those dates or giving them a miss this year. The War Weekend at Pickering on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is something I've frequently gone to, but will skip it again this year. It was no fun battling through the crowds last year with little legs in tow, and there didn't seem to be as much there either. I'm guessing fuel costs kept many of the larger vehicles away.

I've clocked up 1224 miles between the Jeep and the Dodge, with the Dodge covering 837 of those miles due to a few longer distance camping trips with the whole family; the main reason for buying the Dodge. Over all mileage is down this year, but more from a reduced number of local events rather than fuel costs.

The season was to start rather early in January at the Durham Light Infantry Museum. We decided to take the Dodge along for a run out to stretch its legs after being wrapped up in the barn since mid November 2010. During all the snow in December, I'd used the Jeep to drive over to the barn to give the Dodge a run. The Jeep was the only vehicle that could make it out of our street, although the farm closer to the coast had much less snow.

dec_snow1.jpg

nov_snow4.jpg

The DLI museum's first event was January 15th. They were starting to hold monthly events for single dads, so they could get out and spend time with their kids doing something a bit different. It wasn't going to be a big event, but several re-enactors and a handful of vehicles turned out for what turned out to be a very cold day. The cold and wind was one of the factors that brought forwards the work to add windows to the body of the Dodge so it could be driven with the sides closed while still allowing me to view other traffic. Other than the Dodge, some friends brought along their Jeep and 'Skint George' ( a member here ), brought along his recentlt purchased Corgi bike.

dli_jan1.jpg

dli_jan3.jpg

dli_jan4.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The following month, on February 19th, there was another 'Fathers Day' at the DLI, and since it was my dad's birthday, he was visiting for the weekend. By now, the Dodge had windows in the sides and back doors, and attachments for a child seat, so all four of us braved the cold and damp. I was still using the Norwegian canvas doors, which aren't long enough to reach the body of the truck, allowing the cold wind in, but were better than nothing. The T.A. were along too, though most people spent the day in the museum or cafe!

dli_feb5.jpg

dli_feb2.jpg

March was quiet, and we didn't want to spend another weekend at the DLI, so the next outing was April 2nd for a Help for Heroes day at Sedgefield. This time it was the Jeeps turn to come out. The weather was atrocious on the way there, and I almost turned for home, but slowly it improved giving us blue skies for the afternoon. Other local vehicles which turned up were a Dodge WC7, WC52, a Willys MB and an M38A1, which was a good pre-season gathering for what was still quite early in the season's calender. Certain members seemed to spend a long time in the near by coffee and cake shop!

sedgefield3.jpg

sedgefield6.jpg

A week later on April 10th, it was the Yorkshire MVT Crank up event and road run to York Castle. Due to the long drive my own vehicles stayed at home, as I was saving for the Elvington show, so I got a lift with a friend in his M38A1. The vehicles met as usual in the lay-by at Tadcaster ready for the road run into York. There were a couple of breakdowns ( Jeep & Land Rover ), just before and during the road run to York. One was 'A' Framed to York centre, the AA brought the other. I think 2011 had the best turn out yet with over 60 vehicles.

crankup2.jpg

crankup4.jpg

crankup8.jpg

The first big event of the year was the 'Wheels & Wings' show at Elvington airfield on May 7/8th. Around 200 vehicles attended the annual show, held jointly between the Yorkshire MVT and the Yorkshire Air Museum. I got my usual spot next to the C-47.

waw6.jpg

Further draught proofing on the truck was a modified GMC cab canvas, picked up at Elvington. It cuts down the wind from the cab and also forms a backdrop for the display in the back of the truck.

waw4.jpg

waw8.jpg

There was also a fly past by one of the BBMF Hurricanes.

waw7.jpg

The day after the the Elvington show was the first Press day at Croft Circuit. To save fuel, I went straight from Elvington to Croft on the Sunday evening and camped over. Most of the day was spent watching photographers and moving vehicles, though we still got to make a few laps of the circuit.

This was the sunset over the main runway on the Sunday evening.

croftpress3.jpg

croftpress5.jpg

croftpress11.jpg

croftpress4.jpg

A couple of weeks later was the War Weekend at Blyth Battery on May 21/22nd. While all three of us were going to camp, it was quite exposed, so Lynne went in her own car in case it got too cold for our daughter who was only 18 months old at the time. As a result, I took the Jeep rather than the Dodge. There was a good turnout, with a number of vehicles and displays, though more on Saturday. While it stayed fairly dry during the days, and warm with the sun out, increasing wind on Sunday reduced numbers displaying. This probably resulted in a number of people leaving early on Sunday. Overall, I think the Battery would be happy with the weekend.

blyth1.jpg

blyth2.jpg

blyth7.jpg

blyth12.jpg

The first family camping trip in the Dodge came on June 18/19th, at the Allerton Court Hotel in Northallerton. By this time, I had completed new doors for the Dodge which kept the wind out pretty well, and made the 50 mile drive quite pleasant. Around 15 vehicles turned up for the weekend, four of which were from our area. There were also a good number of dioramas portraying British, German and Russian troops. The event was started with Frank Stone firing a mortar. Frank was, a POW billeted in the hut the 'Great Escape' tunnel started from. This was followed by a convoy into town by most of the vehicles in attendance. The BBMF Spitfire had an engine fault and so a Hurricane was sent instead.

north1.jpg

north2.jpg

north3.jpg

north9.jpg

north12.jpg

A week later on June 25th, it was armed forces day. The local MVT group was split between Seaburn in Sunderland and Ripon in Yorkshire. Seaburn was the closest for me, so I took the Jeep out for the day. Lynne came down later in the day. My Jeep joined two bikes, a Dodge, a medics car and an Auster. A funfair, stalls, shooting range and live music were amongst the other attractions.

seaburn6.jpg

seaburn7.jpg

seaburn4.jpg

July 17th, 'Jeeps & Jets' at the North East Aircraft Museum. Because of heavy rain, I didn't even try to attend for the first day of the event. It just chucked it down all day. Very unfortunate. Sunday morning started out raining again, but by late morning, it was brightening up. I headed off in the Jeep to have a look. A few of the recent restorations were out doors which was nice to see. A group of German re-enactors packed up first thing Sunday morning having spent two nights under canvas in the heavy rain. Unfortunately by 2:00pm, the heavy rain returned, and the remaining vehicle owners packed up and left.

Newly repainted, this EE Lightning was rolled out for the first time for this weekend.

jaj1.jpg

jaj5.jpg

This Whirlwind was also freshly repainted and outdoors for the first time.

jaj9.jpg

jaj12.jpg

The following week was our first long trip together in the Dodge. July 23/24th was the annual summer Fly-in and War Weekend at Breighton Airfield near Selby. It was a little over 100 miles there, and it took us a bit over three hours taking the scenic route down the A167 then A19 around York. The event was another success, despite dull and windy weather to start the weekend. It progressively improved and plenty of flying took place, with all kinds of vintage and modern flying machines. There were also a good selection of vintage cars and a few military vehicles.

breighton1.jpg

breighton2.jpg

breighton5.jpg

On Sunday, I got a flight in a Taylorcraft Auster. The flight had been planned for the year before, but a strong crosswind postponed the flight until this year. While airborne, we caught up with another Auster for some air-to-air photography.

breighton10.jpg

Due to a crosswind, the Mew Gull, Arrow Active and Comper Swift didn't fly, but did perform taxi runs to allow the members present to photo and video them under their own power. Each year, we seem to get a great sunset on the Saturday evening, and this year was no different.

breighton14.jpg

Two unusual and very nice visiting aircraft were both from the de Havilland stable, a dH84 Dragon and dH89a Rapide.

breighton23.jpg

August 6/7th was our MV groups event at Croft. I wanted to take the Jeep and Dodge to Croft for the display, but this meant I needed another driver. The last time Lynne drove the Jeep was a couple of years ago, so the week before the event, we went out for some driving lessons. Firstly the Jeep on its own, then with the trailer, followed by the trailer in the rain. Lynne clocked up about 40 miles and by the end was fairly happy with the handling and different driving technique.

We drove to Croft on Friday, and the hours drive went without problems. Friday had fantastic weather. Saturday was pretty much washed out, while Sunday cleared up and was dry.

croft13.jpg

croft6.jpg

croft12.jpg

croft4.jpg

The August bank holiday weekend was the annual show of the N.E. Military Vehicle Club at the DLI Museum. For one of the days, Lynne took the Jeep while I took the Dodge. The following day Lynne was out with friends at Newcastle races, so it was just me and dad in the Dodge. The vehicle numbers were down this year, partly due to the weather forecast, and partly due to fuel costs and the economy, but it was still a good show with a varied selection of vehicles.

dli1.jpg

dli6.jpg

dli10.jpg

dli11.jpg

Possibly the last event for this year was the second Washington Heritage Festival on September 17th. There were a number of military vehicles and re-enactor displays, plus exhibits from the NE Aircraft Museum, and other historical re-enactment groups, Washington history displays, fairground rides etc. Despite the mornings rain, there were a large number of public there all day.

wash1.jpg

wash5.jpg

wash8.jpg

Sunday 18th, I took the Dodge to NEAM to check adjustments I'd made to the brakes and to see the latest progress at the museum. The new building is well under way and the Trident had arrived since my last visit.

neamsept1.jpg

neamsept3.jpg

neamsept5.jpg

Well, that's it unless there are any last minute events pop up. I'll still be taking the Jeep and Dodge out on the roads between now and the end of the year, but probably just for shortish runs to keep the joints and brakes exercised. I don't like either of them sitting still over the winter.

Thanks. It would have been nice to get to a few events further away, but we'd spending a stupid amount of money remodelling the garden right now, to make it both child friendly and virtually maintenance free, so things like holidays and long distance events have gone on hold. So far, in weight of hardcore, we've moved the equivalent of a World War Two bomber plus its bomb load, from the drive to the back garden!

• 2 weeks later...