S26 scammell & DAF Drops

Of course if you wanted to make it a really interesting machine then instead of the Multilift Mk4 loading system it could have a MK2 (Half the trials vehicles had Mk2 LHS - the main difference was that they were "low lift" - the bale bar was simply on the front of a totally flat flatrack rather than mounted on the A frame.)

This was because as well as deciding which vehicles were best suited to the task there was a need to decide on the LHS. The Mk2 offered distinct cost and storage advantages because flatracks (and they envisaged thousands of them) would be a lot cheaper to store and easier to handle in depots.

In practice the low lift was tricky to operate in comparison to the high lift, was seen to be less foolproof, was certainly less stable (always an issue with DROPS development) and as the depot end of the DROP system was never properly thought through anyway the high lift won the day.

Thought you might like to see a photo of a Mk2 LHS IMMLC

mk2 LHS.jpg

Photo: Scammell Register

And a Mk4 LHS equiped IMMLC pulling a wheelie

Immlc5.jpg

Photo: Scammell Register

Regards

Steve

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that Steve, I had never seen the mk2 LHS.

Out of interest was that a recent photo from the Scammell Register newsletter, I don't remember seeing it?

Yes, from the combined July & October 2015 issue, and was in John Fadelle's Scammel history part 36.

Hi, I thought I'd better come clean and admit that I am the idiot that has bought the blue S26 IMMLC. It's chassis number is SBSM7RSCYSAE79009, and it's military reg. no. was 42KC24. It is fitted with a Rolls/Perkins Eagle 350 and a ZF 6HP600 auto gearbox. It has the wide track Kirkstall D66 axles and 24R20.5 tyres. It measures 2.90m wide over the extended cab wings. If I understand the chassis code correctly, then it was built in January 1984 and was the 9th military S26 built by Scammell. The control box for the Multi-lift Mk4 LHS is still in the cab situated behind the drivers seat.

At some point in it's life, probably 2003 when it was registered, it was fitted with an agricultural manure spreader body, which was driven by a separate engine, and the fuel tank was moved to the other side of the chassis where the battery box was originally located. The battery box was then moved rearwards along the chassis.

Here, are a few more photos. Not the best but the light was against me.

DSCN2382.jpg

DSCN2375.jpg

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2381.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Made a start on the summer project today, just checking the fit, gear needs to sit a bit higher on chassis rails, the gear is from one of the Foden 6x6 prototypes same as what Cosrec fitted to a DROPS chassis

WP_20170315_18_26_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20170408_16_31_22_Pro.jpg

Edited by simon jameson

the one i fitted to the drops had a 12" deep subframe fitted on the owners request. I wanted to go with 6" but customer gets what the customer wants. Small world the cab of the gear your fitting is now on the foden i took my gear of

the one i fitted to the drops had a 12" deep subframe fitted on the owners request. I wanted to go with 6" but customer gets what the customer wants. Small world the cab of the gear your fitting is now on the foden i took my gear of
I did wonder why the one you fitted had such a deep subframe, I'm thinking of about 4"-5" subframe and looking at fitting 16.00 20 wheels/tyres if i find a set at reasonable cost (any body got a set???) anything more than this and I will struggle to reach into the lockers. I knew you had the yellow cab Steven, to be honest I never thought I would get the same gear again after I missed out on the gear you had offered to me, small world it is!!