Militant Mk3 welding/cutting kit.

Mk3iain

I just got hold of this portable set of Oxy/Acetylene welding cutting gear. I am sure it will fit in the box on my Milly (I hope!).

Does anyone have any information on these kits? Are there any manuals etc? I am not looking to using it (yes I get all the h&s!), but I would like it to look complete with cylinders etc.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Cheers

Iain

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Are they not current B.O.C. bottles? You're supposed to pay rental on the bottles (annual rental and pay per exchange), so probably best to start afresh with a new bottle set from them. Check out with your nearest B.O.C. distributor.

Of course it would be totally inappropriate for anyone, once they had a set of bottles on rental, to return another older bottle for exchange and thus have a full spare......:nono:

I'm sure no supplier would fill your own bottles nowadays anyway - all done on bottle exchange empty for full.

Edited by N.O.S.

I just got hold of this portable set of Oxy/Acetylene welding cutting gear. I am sure it will fit in the box on my Milly (I hope!).

Does anyone have any information on these kits? Are there any manuals etc? I am not looking to using it (yes I get all the h&s!), but I would like it to look complete with cylinders etc.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Cheers

Iain

The makers plate is "Arnolds (Branbridge) Limited", if it helps.

Any info/help appreciated.

Iain

Thanks Paul

I have been told by my local BOC agent that the small cylinders to fit this kit are about £50 each per year to rent! :shocked:

Unless I come across some old cylinders, it may be an idea to get a new portable set (about £160) for the components then rent cylinders and then at least I can use it.

But its maybe not worth the outlay for the amount of use I may get from it, or is it? DOW!!!!!:mad:

I'll have a cup of tea and think about it.

Iain

Just a thought - cylinders are being condemned all the while at refill stations. You may be able to sweet talk your local BOC agent (if not try with an appropriate phone phone number through website) into giving you a contact number on the cylinder processing side. And if you get really lucky they may give you a couple of de-activated (hole drilled in base) cylinders?

It would certainly look good as a complete display set, you could play the 're-enactment' card in your negotiations.

Or even email them a pleading letter - once they see the attached photos of the impressive Mk3 at a show with pics of the sad incomplete gas pack they'll see exactly why you need them, not for anything untoward.

Edited by N.O.S.

Just a thought - cylinders are being condemned all the while at refill stations. You may be able to sweet talk your local BOC agent (if not try with an appropriate phone phone number through website) into giving you a contact number on the cylinder processing side. And if you get really lucky they may give you a couple of de-activated (hole drilled in base) cylinders?

It would certainly look good as a complete display set, you could play the 're-enactment' card in your negotiations.

Or even email them a pleading letter - once they see the attached photos of the impressive Mk3 at a show with pics of the sad incomplete gas pack they'll see exactly why you need them, not for anything untoward.

:goodidea:

I will be at my local BOC agent this week as he is also the guy who is fixing up the welding kit locker and spreader bar for me in addition to repairing the gearbox mount/adaptor for myM1008. I will try all the above and more and try and get him on side, he is a very helpfull if always busy guy. Fingers crossed!

Iain

i have some of these cylinders haven't looked at them lately but i think you will find that they are not the same sizes as portapak cylinders will have a look tomorrow and let you know what i have regards roger

Very much appreciated Roger, thank you !

:tup::

Have found cylinders oxy is 18"tall to base of valve 6.75" diameter rounded bottom weight full 25lb 9oz empty 18lb 5oz acetylene 14" tall to base of valve 4" diameter i have 2 of each spare, need cleaning up and repainting also have a frame with cyls hoses and welding torch but no accessory kit if anybody needs one regards roger

PM sent.

• 3 years later...

Hi I just bought a welder/cutter just like this one. Iv been looking for any info on it and haven't found any I came across this tread to see one not as complete as mine but the only information I know is that the person I bought if from said "a friend of mine rang me up and said he had a welder/cutter and was it any use and he took yeah I will have it" also his mate worked at the research & department group at Scammell and that's were it come from. Here are some pictures of mine .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As above really, the people who test the bottles have loads of scrap ones and I am sure they would sell you a couple, have you looked at the size of CO2 extinguishers?

The H&S complications of carrying a full set makes me feel it would be more hassle than its worth