FV Speedo cable

marvinthemartian

Have removed speedo cable from the Martian coz the outer conduit is split in two places. I am wondering if it is quite easy to take out the inner cable, and split the outer into sections, as looking at it, it seems to me to be a 4ft approx length of flexible wiring conduit, clamped onto the end fittings. Probably wont know until I take it to bits.

Could be weekend job me thinks.

Simon

P010911_19.410003.JPG

P010911_19.400001.JPG

Stripped rpm counter drive cable tonight as it was full of rust and crud, inner cable held in place by a c clip as per speedo cable. Removed cracked rubber sleeving from entire length and it seems that the ends of the flexible conduit are just soldered into the fittings either end. Spent a good hour with blow torch, wire brush and 2 lumps of wood to knock the crap out/ unseize the outer!

If I can find some of the correct size conduit in the shed, I will have a go at trying to unsolder the ends. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a busy lad this week, have got speedo and rev counter drive cables repaired. Once old units stripped and laid out, the brass end fittings are actually crimped, I got them undone by heating up the brass fitting and gently twisting/pulling out the old flexi conduit. To refit the new conduit I had to warm up the brass bits again and widen them with anything to hand that was at least 1/2 diameter. A bit of epoxy will stop them from coming off. A good thick black heatshrink from ebay forms the outer covering, as you can see by comparing the pics they've come up trumps.

Above, all the bits ready to clean and prepare. Below, fitting the first end.

01.jpg

02.jpg