Austin Champ 05 BE 56

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaay !! clutch NOS. plates arrived in the post this morn so got busy riveting ( they don't call me rampant rivet for nothing :-D )

100_2264.jpg

Ready to rivet

100_2265.jpg

Clutch plate in pos using old drive shaft as guide

100_2266.jpg

Cover plate fitted need to borrow engine crane to refit gearbox sunday afternoon

Mmmm yes thats the next thing as the engine and gearbox oil are the same its tough to know where the oil originated but there were traces of slightly mustard coloured oil which was the same as the gearbox oil when I changed itawhile ago.

I will remove bellhousing drain plug and keep an eye on the situation as far as I know there is no rear crank seal as such ! and it could be that the sump had been overfilled in the past causing oil to seep into bell housing.

Have kept an eye on the inside of the gearbox housing to see if oil is weeping from there but no traces so far I hope that the oil collected there over the 30 odd years the truck has stood I had thought it was moved 17 yrs ago but talking to the previous owner he remarked that it was only towed a short distance without the engine running.

Engine crane Jeremy ? wassa matter with you lad?....

.ratchet strap up and over yer shoulders and down around the gearbox....one foot either side of the hole in the floor..straighten up & hump the box up and balance on a chassis rail.

...shorten ratchet strap with one hand whilst holding onto lump with the other...

..take weight on yer shoulders and straighten up again to lift into place .

..wiggle and jiggle until shaft slips into place...maybe having to reach the back of the box and turn the output shaft a nudge or two..

... have a couple of bolts within reach to slip into the top of the bell housing and yer away !

well........I've done a few Landrovers gearbox like that on my own and also Ford D series once ...but it was a good few years ago when I was considerably younger stronger and stupider.:cool2:

Well I like the easy option besides being a carpenter I'm rather attached to my fingers so to say :D popped over to Mum and dads for lunch today so it was easy to pick up the hoist and it really was usefull as its a tight fit to get the box backinto position as the prop shaft is in the way some, Caroline gave a hand to raise and lower :cool2:

100_2269.jpg

Able assistant in action

100_2275.jpg

Fit you Ba*t%^d !!!!

100_2272.jpg

Thats better Champ thing now has nice new shiny oil free clutch and can move under its own steam again just need to take it for a spin to check all ok but clutch does feel a lot better now and I should be able to make to bromyard show next wkend.

Thanks Pete got a phone call from organiser earlier :-( shame as I was looking foward to the show, just been looking at the weather forecast for Bromyard for tomo and its awfull :-( :-( fields will be swamped by looks, shame really as sat looks to be ok but it could be a nightmare to get in and out of showground.

you going up fri or sat ? I,m getting p*ss*d off with this crappy summer weather its gotta change for Welland surely :bow:

Jer.

Going up on the saturday Jer but not taking the gun as that will just sink so i am told, The weather says heavy rain for sat night so i may just do the day but will look at it again Saturday when we are up there,,,,,Hope to see you there bud and come on over for a cuppa

Pete

Thanks Pete got a phone call from organiser earlier :-( shame as I was looking foward to the show, just been looking at the weather forecast for Bromyard for tomo and its awfull :-( :-( fields will be swamped by looks, shame really as sat looks to be ok but it could be a nightmare to get in and out of showground.

you going up fri or sat ? I,m getting p*ss*d off with this crappy summer weather its gotta change for Welland surely :bow:

Jer.

Hi, I have been told that Mud Marcle is also off now, so thats another to strike out.

Brilliant to document this restoration, I gotta say I am impressed...and fairly humbled too, as I feel like I have been lazy!!!

Will PM you

Alan

Hi Al thanks matey,

Though the work still continous, having sorted the clutch and took it for a spin to check it out, all ok now.

I thought that the brakes should have a bit more fettling.

Although they were ok I was not happy with them and had noticed brake fluid returning to the resevoir and having read through a number of articles on Champ master cylinders I realised something needed doing, the problem arose when I stripped the old MC down I had to use heat on the large rear nut to get it to release unfortuneatly unknown to me inside was a plastic spacer which holds one of the seals in place this slightly melted in the proccess reducing its length somewhat !! this meant the center seal was not performing correctly.

100_2282.jpg

melted bit !!

I reassembled the MC with new seals not realizing as I do now that this spacer should be a certain length for the master cylinder to work correctly so have dug out another spare cylinder this time with a steel spacer and have rebuilt it as I think the two types I have differ because of the type of spacer used, looks like the plastic type is prob later type.

100_2280.jpg

shiny rebuilt MC MKII

I hope this improves the performance of the brakes now, anybody out there got spare plastic spacer they don't need ? as I want to have a spare MC just in case .

Edited by rampant rivet
typo doh !

• 3 weeks later...

Ok the brakes seem a tad better now but the engine still seems to run too hot and is still suffering from vapour lock symptoms :undecided: any ideas on prob cause ? have flushed block and rad checked crank breather hose and checked thermostat, could it be timing or have I overlooked something obvious :nut:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not posted much on this thread lately I suppose its finished and now its more of care and maintenance and using the old girl but did fit a new pair of windscreen wiper motors today just in case they may be needed :-D am also going to have a new wiring loom fitted soon as we had to jury rig some of the existing to get it to work.

100_2197.jpg

100_2191.jpg

100_2194.jpg

Just a few B/W pics

Edited by rampant rivet

Ta :D Pop round for a brew sometime, got that tractor thing yet :nut:

Defo will mate.

Yes Tractor is at the stables where OH keeps the neds. That's how I know the farmer I purchased it from :D

PS:..... You can't have the silencer .......LoL !

• 6 months later...

Just a quick update on the champ thing, so far this year we have had it rewired thanks to Dave lock and had an electric fuel pump fitted plus I've given the brake master cylinder another beating to stop a leak and tonight I've just fitted a NOS carb to see if I can improve its running, Oh and am waiting for a correct muffler to arrive from OZ as the one I fitted made it sound like a panzer wagon not a champ ! :nut:

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...