Austin Champ 05 BE 56

Hi All

Have Just found an Austin Champ, well two really but the second one is a parts only donor.The truck I am going to restore is complete though has been stood for 15 plus years, it also comes with a narrow track trailer.

Having restored mainly WWII vehicles in the past so this is going to be something different !!!.

Am looking forward to getting them all moved to the workshop so that I can see what I am up against, I have around 1.5 tonnes of spares to sort through as well, which I hope will help fund this project, hopefully I will get it to Evesham next June for the Champ Camp. Watch this space :nut:.

Jeremy Tobin.

100_1497.jpg

100_1513.jpg

100_1491.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Have now managed to move champ to workshop have removed various parts ready to have them shotblasted, engine is stuck so have removed head prior to freeing it up this wkend hopefully.

Would like to know correct paint colour for engine and main bodywork, help please !!

Cheers RR :cool2:

100_1710.jpg

100_1769.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Head fitted with new gasket, though have to sort thermostat, rebuilt dizzy fitted am now replacing old HT leads with new ones am on the look out for a new set of plugs, next job is to rebuild carb then look at fuel system.

Manged to sort exhaust system at Malvern sale so thats another job which will be ongoing am hoping to have her running over the xmas hols.

100_1800.jpg

Nuther day int shed and thermostat refitted along with coil, HT leds and other various pipework, checked gaps on tappets and fitted rocker cover with new gasket have sourced new plugs will fit them on next visit.

This week I will mainly be rebuildig the carb and making up the exhaust system ready for another session unless I get volunteered to do the xmas shopping thing..

100_1805.jpg

100_1806.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

• 2 weeks later...

Two steps forward one back have rebuilt the carb and cleaned the fuel filter that was half full of water !!! generator and belts fitted along with fan though I am stumped on oil filter at the mo as I think I may have the wrong type of filter anyone have any knowledge on sorting this type ? will wait untill filter sorted before fitting carb as its a pig to get at filter with it fitted.

Have stripped inner and outer windscreen frame ready for blasting and will look at getting the wheels off over xmas ready to start in on the brakes.

100_1812.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I am not sure about regarding the filter is that it is different from the old one I removed, I have attached pics of new filter, the old one had a circular metal disc top and bottom can I swap these over to the new element ?

The reason for not painting the engine bay is that I have not removed the engine plus it looks a lot worse than it is as at some point the inside of the bay was sprayed with a waxoyl type substance that I have not had time to clean off yet.

100_1816.jpg

100_1819.jpg

Nuther one of those Champ days three steps forward and one back, have sorted front brake cylinders and flexi pipes all from landrover :cheesy: have rebuilt rear cylinders as these are hard to come by. Sourced a set of new brake shoes from Dave Lock and sorted rear winch panel and rear seat bottom panel from Malcolm Scott, also tyres sorted :cheesy: now for the fun bit.

The oil filter element seems to be about 1 1/2" too long I have the two plates but am still struggling.

Took a pile of stuff to the shotblasters only to be told now that the compressor is U/S and will have to wait till its fixed before wheels etc etc are blasted and painted.

Started to look at non original winch as I have to take the fuel tank out and need to replace rotten tank straps found mouse nest as well !! not sure about winch should it be kept as part of its history or removed as its not original.

Off to Worcester DVLA tomo to hopefully get the champ registered, don't know what we will all do if they close the local offices can just see it now as the Swansea computer says " NO" Grrrrrrrrr.

MOUSE !

100_1834.jpg

100_1835.jpg

100_1838.jpg

AS I previously stated , the engine has not been removed I am concentrating on the mechanics to get the vehicle up and running in order to attend the 60th anniversary champ camp in June.

At some point the engine bay was sprayed with waxoil 20 plus years ago this has turned white with age, when I get the time I will clean it off I have removed the air cleaner to help in this process.

On the plus side I managed to get to Worcester VRO today and they are processing my application to retain the original registration number, have cleaned the air filter removing 20 + year old oil, dead flies etc. And dissasembled and painted the wiper motors and undid the trailer socket cover.

Petrol tank removal tomo.

Fuel tank removed and both tank straps were rotten have made new ones by keeping original ends and welding in new galvanised strips, fuel tank in good cond will need cleaning and sealing with por 15, dave lock is sending me a new set of brake shoes plus correct oil filter.

Have cleaned front axle and undeside of front wings they seem to be coated with 1/8th of an inch of a black tar type underseal is this original ? have had to remove it as it has failed in a couple of places alowing some hidden rust to form.