Jerry can colour??

marmon

Question

Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

8 answers to this question

We lived in france for a period in 2009 and attended approx 60 vides through out the year and they are a good source

of bits and bobs....don`t forget to haggle!!!!! best buy was a 50 cal wooden ammo crate 7 euros

good luck with the lamp idea.

Dave

I was given two from Normandy, they were sand cooured, and always have been. Apparently something like ten million jerrycans were landed in the first months after D-Day. When the Rhine crossing came, only about two million could be found, leading to a lot of logistic problems.

Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

Hi Quentin

I am looking for a WW2 can with WATER pressed into it or petrol cans with PSC or NG makers marks, can you help ?

Thanks Ian

On 8/18/2011 at 8:28 AM, Ian L said:

Hi Quentin

I am looking for a WW2 can with WATER pressed into it or petrol cans with PSC or NG makers marks, can you help ?

Thanks Ian

I know this was a really long time ago but i'm also trying to find out the specific colour of these cans to restore a few.

Saw your reply so I thought I'd let you know I've just put a pair of post war PSC cans on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325650363046?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yEeGalLTSeq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=yEeGalLTSeq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY