Thread: Jerry can colour??

Default Jerry can colour??

Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,
    Quentin

Smile Re: Jerry can colour??

We lived in france for a period in 2009 and attended approx 60 vides through out the year and they are a good source
    of bits and bobs....don`t forget to haggle!!!!! best buy was a 50 cal wooden ammo crate 7 euros
    good luck with the lamp idea.
    Dave

Default Re: Jerry can colour??

we cut and hinged an american one , put an old lock on it that cant be seen from the outside , and made a sandwich / drink container for the jeep.....

Could one be selfish and ask for a picture I wouldn't mind seeing that butty box

will try and take one next time im down there , in fact i think we have two ......

I was given two from Normandy, they were sand cooured, and always have been. Apparently something like ten million jerrycans were landed in the first months after D-Day. When the Rhine crossing came, only about two million could be found, leading to a lot of logistic problems.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

Default NG / PSC & water can wanted

Quote Originally Posted by marmon View Post
    Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,
    Quentin

Hi Quentin
    I am looking for a WW2 can with WATER pressed into it or petrol cans with PSC or NG makers marks, can you help ?
    Thanks Ian
    1945 Standard Tilly
    1944 Austin K5 (Runner up. BEST BRITISH over 5cwt War & Peace show 2012)
    1945 Bedford QLR
    1944 Morris C8GS
    1944 Ford GPW 'RAF'
    1944 Norton 16H
    10cwt Mortar/ammunition Trailer MK2
    2 x 10cwt GS Trailer MK2
    1 Ton 2 WH GS Trailer MK5 Click on restoration link http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread...eel-GS-Trailer
    1940 20cwt Water Bowser Click on restoration link http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread...er-restoration

Hi Ian,

No water I'm afraid and makers are MPB or VM but I will certainly keep a look out for one.

Thread Information