MP48 mast poles

gas 44

Hiya,can anybody help please.

I am looking for the device used when a vehicle is moving to secure the mp48 mast poles. It appears to "clip"to the mast and then fasten to the front of the vehicle,I have only seen this device from a distance and when the vehicle was moving.

So if anyone can point me in the direction to purchase one (have tried the normal places and a good sniff around at W/P) or could let me have a photo/picture and dimensions I would be well pleased.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Edited by gas 44
spelling.......AGAIN

The item which you refer to is known as a antenna tie down..the most information i have found is on

the jeep forum (g503) just look in the radio section i think the guys name is willy....nice name if jeeps are

your thing!!!!!

Dave

Sadly, most antenna tie-downs you see are incorrect, but as the correct items are now very hard to find, I suppose that justifies it.

This is what you need for a correct US WW2 antenna tie-down:

1. 'P' clip - this slides over the actual antenna rod and is allowed to slip up/down the antenna. It is not fixed/tightened onto the antenna. It's a galvanised flat metal clip shaped like a letter P when viewed from the side, with an inset brass ring that your tie-down rope is looped through.

2. RP-5 tie-down rope. This is a 'multi-weave' cotton rope, about 1/4" thick, either in white (early war) or a shade of OD (OD coloured anti mould/fungus preservative was applied) RP-5 rope came, if I recall correctly, in 15ft lengths, in sealed paper/foil (early) or 'plastic film' (late OD type) wrappers.

3. IN-86 insulator. There are 3 types I know of, and these were placed around 2ft from the P clip, effectively insulating the antenna from the vehicle body should the rope become wet or otherwise conductive, and connected the RP-5 rope that run between the antenna(P clip) and IN-86 and then IN-86 to vehicle anchor point. A common version is a brown cylindrical insulator about 3inches long, with 2 screw-in eyes, one at each end.

4. Each join in the antenna sections (where they screw together) should have a securing clip slipped over the join and this has 2 screws to tighten it. This is to prevent the sections becoming unscrewed/coming loose.

I don't believe there was a hook/clip to attach the RP-5 rope to the vehicle body, but I used a spare spring type clip from a ground antenna setp on my Halftrack.

Willy might be able to help with P clips, but I think I had the last of them from him about 3 years ago. He might have sourced some more though.

RP-5 rope is not easy to locate, but try Pierino (I think) on the G503 as he had alot of the early white ropes NOS a few years back. He also had a few IN-86. Search the Radio section for MP-48 or MP-48-A and you should find his posts from around 2007.

If you really get stuck and want a correct tie-down, I could be persuaded to part with a complete setup with the later OD treated rope....I also have a couple of the securing clips for the Blue and Red antenna sections, but none of the small ones.

I also have an original MP-48-A antenna base, not one of the current repros being passed off as originals (almost had an argument with a well-known dealer at Stoneleigh over his 'original' bases!) - although they are good - this also came from Pierino in Italy.

Edited by Chris Warne

Sadly, most antenna tie-downs you see are incorrect, but as the correct items are now very hard to find, I suppose that justifies it.

This is what you need for a correct US WW2 antenna tie-down:

1. 'P' clip - this slides over the actual antenna rod and is allowed to slip up/down the antenna. It is not fixed/tightened onto the antenna. It's a galvanised flat metal clip shaped like a letter P when viewed from the side, with an inset brass ring that your tie-down rope is looped through.

2. RP-5 tie-down rope. This is a 'multi-weave' cotton rope, about 1/4" thick, either in white (early war) or a shade of OD (OD coloured anti mould/fungus preservative was applied) RP-5 rope came, if I recall correctly, in 15ft lengths, in sealed paper/foil (early) or 'plastic film' (late OD type) wrappers.

3. IN-86 insulator. There are 3 types I know of, and these were placed around 2ft from the P clip, effectively insulating the antenna from the vehicle body should the rope become wet or otherwise conductive, and connected the RP-5 rope that run between the antenna(P clip) and IN-86 and then IN-86 to vehicle anchor point. A common version is a brown cylindrical insulator about 3inches long, with 2 screw-in eyes, one at each end.

4. Each join in the antenna sections (where they screw together) should have a securing clip slipped over the join and this has 2 screws to tighten it. This is to prevent the sections becoming unscrewed/coming loose.

I don't believe there was a hook/clip to attach the RP-5 rope to the vehicle body, but I used a spare spring type clip from a ground antenna setp on my Halftrack.

Willy might be able to help with P clips, but I think I had the last of them from him about 3 years ago. He might have sourced some more though.

RP-5 rope is not easy to locate, but try Pierino (I think) on the G503 as he had alot of the early white ropes NOS a few years back. He also had a few IN-86. Search the Radio section for MP-48 or MP-48-A and you should find his posts from around 2007.

If you really get stuck and want a correct tie-down, I could be persuaded to part with a complete setup with the later OD treated rope....I also have a couple of the securing clips for the Blue and Red antenna sections, but none of the small ones.

I also have an original MP-48-A antenna base, not one of the current repros being passed off as originals (almost had an argument with a well-known dealer at Stoneleigh over his 'original' bases!) - although they are good - this also came from Pierino in Italy.

Hi Chris,

The contacts I had have drawn a blank re the parts I want.

So can I persuade you to part with the one on offer along with the securing clips.

If you could pm me your tele no I will call you to sort out payment.

Thanks Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of reply, I've been away on hols and then Damyns Hall (which took me a week to recover from - brilliant!).

I have 1 complete rope assembly that is excess to my needs, but I need to check how many spare IN-86 and RP-5 ropes I have, as these are the key items you need for an accurate tie-down. The 'P clip' (or something very similar) can be made from commercially available metal cable clips, so I may be able to help a few others (judging by the number of PM's!!) with getting a correct tie-down for their vehicle.

I will confess to being something of a hoarder, and unless I need to part with something, I usually keep things stashed away - just in case.

Gary, drop me a pm and make me an offer. :-)

Back soon......

Here's a picture of the correct items.

Early (white) RP-5 rope, various IN-86 (I have the larger cylinder type on the far right), P Clip at top left and the antenna 'securing' clips, although in reality the sections never came undone on my Half-track.

RP5IN86PClip.jpg

Edited by Chris Warne
typo

• 4 weeks later...