Mystery Indian Army Item

Willyslancs

Right guys whats this for please.

Been in someones collection for 40 years but dont know what its for, it measures 3 and a half inch long by almost 1 inch wide . One of the arms is slightly smaller than the other .

It has a number 3 on both arms, "EYRS BOMBAY" on one arm and the war department arrow with a capital I under it on the other . Its brass plated (wearing off )...........

100_2952.jpg

100_2942.jpg

100_2945.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2947.jpg

100_2948.jpg

100_2950.jpg

Might be a stupid suggestion, but it looks like a folding shoe horn to me....

now it is probably something far more special than that but you never know... and if not then i will quietly skulk into the background !

cheers

Mike

funny enough mate , i thought that , but time will tell hopefully .....:thumbsup:

So you are planning on making a curry to test it out then:D

Might be a stupid suggestion, but it looks like a folding shoe horn to me....

now it is probably something far more special than that but you never know... and if not then i will quietly skulk into the background !

cheers

Mike

That was my initial thought as it has a similar sort of shape to one, however I then noticed it only opened to 90 degrees so would only really work if your foot was missing the leg from the ankle upwards. As such I think there would be limited use for it so ruled that out.

Of course it could be a prototype from the Indian version of the Dragon's Den.

Nike

Going by the sturdy hinge and quadrant, it looks as if it was designed to be used in the open (90 degree) position. Some kind of Sergeant Major's measuring device for room/kit inspections? How many inches is it from tip to tip in the open position?

Going by the sturdy hinge and quadrant, it looks as if it was designed to be used in the open (90 degree) position. Some kind of Sergeant Major's measuring device for room/kit inspections? How many inches is it from tip to tip in the open position?

Hi mate its 5 inches tip to tip ...............

• 5 weeks later...