Final Notes for event participants

M5Clive

Evening folks!

Ok, so we are now just a few days away from the weekend we have all been looking forward to for many weeks. Things seem to be coming together thick and fast and I have had a few calls from participants regarding the exact event location, so here it is:

Airfield Farm, TOPCROFT, Nr Harleston, Norfolk, NR35 2BG. The land owners are David and Stuart Woodrow.

I intent to have some MVT Direction signs out pointing you in the right direction (if I can find them in time) to ease your final leg of the journey. We will also try to have a one-way system operating on-site to avoid heavy vehicles meeting on the narrow concrete roadways around the site, but this may not be in place until Saturday.

The land owners have politely requested that we observe a speed limit of 10 mph whilst on-site (I can see the look of anticipation from the owners of the Diamond T Prime movers at the thought of such dizzy heights!) Whilst this is easily achievable for the heavier wagons, I can see some of the Jeeps and Dodges having difficult in keeping below 10 mph, but please try to respect their wishes - These are their requests and we are obligated whilst on their property to respect their wishes.

The pig sheds where the livestock is kept are very close to where we will be based and I have been further asked to avoid any reason whatsoever to interfere with or startle the livestock. Pigs can be very odd animals where strangers are concerned and looking down the participants list, they don't come stranger that some of us, so please keep well away from the animals and they won't concern you!

A couple of people have enquired about water on site. Their is water available from the farm outside taps (which will be marked on a map), but the supply is somewhat erratic. For example, when the pigs and being fed and watered, we won't get any water from the outside taps at all, so it may pay to bring your own drinking water with you. At the very least, I would recommend that you boil any water you get from the farm if it is for drinking, although it is a perfectly acceptable mains supply and not from a bore-hole.

I will be on-site from Thursday afternoon and camping up at the farm all weekend with our caravan, so will be able to assist you in telling you where to set-up camp and where all the things you will need are located on-site.

The Saturday convoy is going to leave the encampment at Topcroft at 08.30. Under the excellent guidance and navigation of our convoy route leader and dispatch rider Ed Abbott, we will wind our way down to Starston, across to Dickleburgh, cross over the Norfolk/Suffolk border and head to Eye Airfield. From there we will head to Finningham, Bacton, Haughley, under the A14 at the site of the original Haughley bends junctions and follow the road up to Harleston village. From there down into Rattlesden village, thru the village and up to the old airfield and enter the site on the crossroads just past the 447th BG memorial at Hightown Green.

FUEL SUPPLY - Please ensure you arrive at the event with sufficient fuel for the days activities. If you do not have enough, please ensure that you arrive at Topcroft with plenty enough time to allow you to go off-site to get some fuel and be back ready to depart with the convoy at 08.30. Please remember that our encampment is in the wilds of the Norfolk countryside and probably 7 or so country miles from the nearest Petrol Station, which will most definitely not be of the 24 hour opening variety - You'll be lucky if they have an air line, let alone enough fuel to accommodate us lot !

The T-Shirt order has gone off to the printers and should be back by Friday morning and I have allowed a dozen over-runs, so you will be able to collect them from me on the Friday at some point. Be sure to get them washed as soon as your home and wear them with pride at Beltring the following week for all to see.

Other than just a couple of vehicles drop out in the past couple of days, the list as far as I am aware still pretty much stands, so I am anticipating a goodly number of wagons to form the basis of the convoy and an exceptionally impressive GMC 6x6 selection. We will have a drivers briefing on the Friday evening either before or after the historical talk in the Hangar.

We are also hoping to do a BBQ on the Friday evening prior to the hangar bash where you can get some form of burgers and sausages for a modest cost.

HMVF is the place to keep returning to for any subsequent updates as the week progresses on or if I need to get any important details out to everyone regarding any change in plan.

My number (as always) is their for your use if you are in a muddle or need clarification on anything either in the lead-up to or during the event. However, as I run our own business, I am still working flat-out until Thursday, so please be patient if you cannot get through first try and have to battle the phone lines with day to day customers!

All for now, but I'm sure i'll think of something else before the week is out.

Clive

Really looking forward to this!! I only hope the weather forecast will improve somewhat... :S

Heyyy I keep forgetting you will all be there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to meeting the boys :D

I will have mains power on some of the time with the living van so any phones that need a quick charge drop them in.The other thought if any body is thinking of repainting there vehicles in the near future I have some very nice olive drab available, there will be vehicles on the event recently restored and sprayed in this colour drab. cost of paint 5 litres £50.

Regards

Howard

Howard and myself have been up at Hardwick all evening, sorting out a few nitty-gritty odds and ends.

Now that I have seen first-hand the camping area now that the set-aside crop has been cut, it really is much bigger than I first realised, so we don't have a problem with space.

But, their has been some rain today and the forecast is not predicting the best weekend's weather of the year by any stretch of the imagination, so do bring some practical camping clothes and some decent footwear for walking across a wet and groggy field.

Their is however a real buzz of excitement up at the airfield tonight and the hangar was a hive of activity.

All for now.

Clive, something popped in my mind, are me and the cubes to late to book tickets for Saturday nights Big Band Dance? I will be looking at 1 each for me, r cubed and my dad, then the 2 cubelets too of course. :kiss::kiss:

Clive, something popped in my mind, are me and the cubes to late to book tickets for Saturday nights Big Band Dance? I will be looking at 1 each for me, r cubed and my dad, then the 2 cubelets too of course. :kiss::kiss:

I will allocate you three dance tickets - Children are free. Also had a result on the children's T-shirts for yourself and Joris !

Clive

I will allocate you three dance tickets - Children are free. Also had a result on the children's T-shirts for yourself and Joris !

Clive

Oh that's brilliant news re the t shirts!!!!!!

Ok, see you all TOMORROW!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you book me in the dance too? Not that I'll dance but someone will need to drink the beer..
We could be quality control Joris! You can taste the beer and I can taste the chardonnay :D:D:D:D

I is packed and ready to go!

I will be on my own so time to chill and just hang out. Looking forward to shaking hands with Rosy and giving Joris a kiss (he's Dutch).

Will be leaving around 10:30 to hopefully miss the M25 traffic. I have a small sample tent that I am going to 'trial' it is bright white and I am sure it doesn't look waterproof so that will be fun :undecided:

Looking forward to meeting everyone and having a blast!

Just packed the boys suitcases, camo overalls, camo coats, camo waterproof trousers, dark shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right time to pack mine:-

Rosie the riveter outfit and pink crocs!!!! :-D

Jack you can join our group, you can be the lemonade quality control person. :cool2:

Right done my stint if driving! Just left M25 and joined M11. M25 clockwise from A40 to M11 has some patches of very heavy traffic. Signs on M25 telling us A12 also has congestion.

Guess we are about 90mins to 2 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk