Chevrolt M6 Bomb Service Truck

Some of you may remember that this time last year I was offered a friends M6 bomb service truck and M5 tri-cycle bomb trailer, money changed hands and the deal was done. I was very pleased to say the least with my purchase if only the wife felt the same. She thought she was getting a new kitchen!! Below is a picture of the M6 as purchased after removing all the covers and it seeing the light of day for the first time in six years.

2028224380047532538S600x600Q85.jpg

2440306640047532538S600x600Q85.jpg

If anyone wonders no I haven't aged in the last year the bloke is David Tuthill who I bought it off.

Since purchasing the project I have been busy collecting the missing parts that are needed for the vehicle. All the brake cylinders and master cylinder have been resleeved in stainless and rebuilt by Past Parts of Bury. I have stripped down the series one hydrovac which is ready for rebuild once Rex finds the small stop pin that is missing, Rex had the required piston seals for the series one hydrovac on the shelf!

NOS side door straps were purchased, along with a few bargain eBay purchases such as NOS dash mounted load controller for £5. Adrian Barrell very kindly found a NOS fuel pump rebuild kit and governer, neither of which had even been opened until I got my grubby mits on them.

KGrHqFl0E2DwPvBNpf-Q6vKQ0_12.jpg

Well the time finally arrived last Wednesday to transport the M6 from storage at Debach airfield and transport it to Howards, at Great Finborough to begin the epic restoration. Howard was right on time arriving bang on 8AM, we collectted the trailer on loan courtesy of Richard Taylor. We deceided to remove the rear bomb crane in the interest of saving weight and loaded the M6 ready for the short journey, Howard used every ratchet strap he could find determined to ensure the load arrived safely!

Here it is in the lean to ready to comemnce stripdown.

DSCF1094.jpg

DSCF1095.jpg

First things first we had a nice cake and a cup of coffee!! Next off with all the front end sheet metal, which is all in quite good condition, it also has the correct lights, front grill and horn (mounted on the fender as with all M6's). Interesttingly all the sheet metal was held on with M8 nuts and bolts!!

DSCF1100.jpg

We decided that we had better run the engine and make a decision on what to do with it as it has a frost crack in the block that has been badly welded and still weeps slightly. Once fuel was up a few cup fulls down the carb and away she went. The engine is a 1940's Chevy 235, but not the correct military contract BV1001 engine. I was fortunate enough to purchase two other 235's from eBay last year one of which is also frost cracked but the other is supposed to be a good runing 235 with full pressure oiling rather than splash fed oilling used on early 235's. These engines are currently at Adrians awaiting the move to Howards. Thanks Adrian!!!

Next the rear bed was removed and then the cab. The wood on the rear bed will be replaced with oak or ash and painted OD, the current wood is mahogany and straight cut rather than tongue and grooved. I am lucky that I was given an original plank off an M6 so can get the new wood machined as per the original plank. The cab is OK condition but has rot at the base of the scuttle and also at the rear of the floor pan. It also looks as though the floor pan may have been replaced at sometime, due to the excessive welding, will know more after blasting.

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

Not bad progress for day one!

A couple of weeks ago when Clive and Tony were over at Jaaps yard they very kindly brought home for me a chassis mounted fuel tank for the M6 (different to a standard Chevy). I was very pleased with it as it had the original mounting frame and straps still on it, along with a fuel sender! It fits perfectly on the chassis with all bolt holes lining up, what a result!

Next I removed all brake lines, shock absorbers, wiring, rear lights and various other bits and bobs. Next the gearbox was dropped and then the engine removed.

DSCF1113.jpg

A few more odds and sods were removed and the chassis was bare! Two days of good work and the chassis and axles are ready for blasting and paint. Over to you Howard!

DSCF1118.jpg

very nice project you got there, and even nicer workshop. look forward to seeing the progress.

Yes it certainly is a nice project and as for the workshop it is very well equipped and plenty of space, unfortunately it isn't mine it's Howards!!!

Hence the reason the M6 is here and not at mine. I only have a large double garage which is already filled with a Clark tractor in bits, a Hercules WXLC-3 engine in bits, two Cletrac tracks and the wifes new kitchen awaiting fitting!!

So what did we find on stripdown, well all transfer case oil seals need replacing as do the axle ones and the shaft hub seals. The steering box will get stripped down and rebuilt as will the gearbox as the selector rails were seized when purchased. I have since freed these off to confirm all gears are there and working, interestingly the gearbox has had a small compressor mounted where the PTO drive would be, a useful addition which will stay.

New rear engine mounting rubbers will be needed as these are missing, the front engine mount is in good shape through. The steel brake pipes appear to be in good shape and should be reusable after cleaning.

The main item requiring attention on the chassis is the rear end as it is missing. As this truck was used as a breakdown truck postwar it was at sometime modified and the rear tow pintle mount was cut out. Someone has tried to rebuild it using RSJ and sheet steel, however it is not correct and would buckle if I was to tow the M5 trailer. So this will be another job for Adrian to fabricate the new section and probably rivet it in for me.

This is what should be at the rear end.

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

Over the weekend I did manage to stripdown the windscreen frame and break out the old glass which had badly delaminated. All the nuts and bolts were seized and sheared off, so will need to be replaced. The glass was propably the original and Motor Products Coporation could still be made out on the sealing strip. Now I have a windscreen frame in component form!!

DSCF1119.jpg

• 1 year later...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371588546.834687.jpg

Well for all you doubters out there that know me progress has been made on this project. Even if not directly by me!

Howard and I decided to remove the axles so be could blast the chassis and ensure every bit was reached.

As you can see from the picture the axles have know been refitted the chassis has been blasted and painted.

Adrian has fabricated a new front bumper and new rear crossmember, so the chassis is now ready for the build up.

I will update this thread with photos of progress to this point as time allows.