Box Cars

Roy Larkin

I seem to recall some debate in a previous thread about what Box Cars were. They were standard saloon cars of the larger variety such as Daimler with the car body removed and a box body replacing it. In addition they had extra leaves put into the springs. There doesn't appear to have been any further modifications.

By coincidence my recent mention regarding the Halley fire engine which was sold at the Sword collection sale on the 12th March 1965 there was in the same sale , Lot 7, which was described as a RFC type Crossley 'box car', I think it appeared in a picture of the sale and I seem to remember that it had a canvas sheeted top. I will try to find the catalogue of the sale which may throw further light upon it.

Richard Peskett.

I believe this Daimler to be a ' Box Car', its from my collection of Daimler glass plate negatives and would date from late 1914 / early 1915. I assume the use would be for carrying officers and other hierarchy baggage etc.

Richard Peskett.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47405[/ATTACH]

Richard, certainly looks like a box car. I suspect their justification was for carrying personnel luggage, but they were also used, it seems, as a sort of emergency express carrier. The Heavy Repair Shop at St Omer used them at least once as a speedy means of getting spares from Rouen ahead of the normal rail system. Only small quantities could be carried, but it kept the works going until the normal delivery arrived.

By coincidence my recent mention regarding the Halley fire engine which was sold at the Sword collection sale on the 12th March 1965 there was in the same sale , Lot 7, which was described as a RFC type Crossley 'box car', I think it appeared in a picture of the sale and I seem to remember that it had a canvas sheeted top. I will try to find the catalogue of the sale which may throw further light upon it.

Richard Peskett.

The Crossley in the Sword collection passed to Mr Bendall and then onto the Hendon Museum, Here are a couple of images.

The original Aviation Wagon and bulkhead have been ripped of the chassis and have now been replaced with a new body based on the archetypal tender type body. I wonder if the original body survives or has been broken up?

HEND.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

• 4 weeks later...