Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

Hi im in the prosses of reconstucting a ww1 halley 6 ton lorry i have frames rear axle springs brakes and wheels and front wheels will post pics when figure out how to do it does anybody know anything about halley lorys or glasgow industrial motor company as thay were known

thanks DAN

Hi im in the prosses of reconstucting a ww1 halley 6 ton lorry i have frames rear axle springs brakes and wheels and front wheels will post pics when figure out how to do it does anybody know anything about halley lorys or glasgow industrial motor company as thay were known

thanks DAN

Hi Dan,

From my memory , there was a restored Halley, which I think was once a laundry van, doing the shows in the 70/80's, think it was from Kent area and was thought to be the only survivor of that make, not sure of the year but could have been just post WW1.

The Halley fire engine was part of the Sword collection in Ayrshire and was bought 'back' by the Edinburgh fire brigade at one of the dispersal sales about 1964 after the death of John Sword. Old Motor / Vintage Commercial Magazine has extensive illustrated articles on Halley in volume 10, issues 5 and 6. The 6 ton model was a G 45.

Richard Peskett.

Yes you are right gmt museum has one civilian halley (flat bed) and one complete six cylinder fire engine and the chassis remains of another but dont think there are any other W D halleys left i herd there was another halley in austrailia but not herd any more about it i am looking for parts to help with the project at the moment a font axle is quite important i think iv located an engine but still working on that any parts i cant get i will have to remake. im trying to still work out how to get pics off my camera ant then on the computer then onto this forum i will keep trying.

dan :nut:

The Halley fire engine was part of the Sword collection in Ayrshire and was bought 'back' by the Edinburgh fire brigade at one of the dispersal sales about 1964 after the death of John Sword. Old Motor / Vintage Commercial Magazine has extensive illustrated articles on Halley in volume 10, issues 5 and 6. The 6 ton model was a G 45.

Richard Peskett.

Having looked through my notes I have found that the sale was on 13th March 1965 and the fire engine sold for £1740 ( no buyers premium in those days ! ) and was bought by Carlsberg Breweries and was to be given back to the City of Edinburgh. In the late 60s early 70s two more existed in Hampshire, later they were in Glasgow, I think owned by a descendant of the Halley family and it is probably these which are now at the GTM. The laundry van is alive and well in Sussex, dates from 1929 and is a 50 cwt. model.

Richard Peskett.

The discovery of an early Halley (and also a Hallford) in Australia was reported in the May 1999 edition of The Automobile magazine in Michael Worthington-Williams' Finds and Discoveries column. This is what the Halley looked like:

The report makes for interesting reading:

We hadn't heard from Noel Adams of Noosaville, Queensland, for some time. His latest letter makes up for all that. He's discovered a fascinating cache of Veteran and Vintage commercials...

The second is a real rarity in the shape of a Halley. Survivors of this once well-known Glasgow make are few and far between. Halley's Garage, in Glasgow, own one incomplete example, which is in the Glasgow Transport Musuem. Nigel Atkinson found a chassis converted to a farm trailer back in 1991. The 1911 ex-Leith Fire Brigade 60/80hp fire engine, registered WS 113, which was formerly in the Sword Collection, survives in the Lothian Museum, I think. In 1994, I found another fire engine chassis supporting a recluse's caravan at Aust, near the Severn Bridge.

A 1912 fire engine, ex-Aberdeen King Street fire station, was displayed in incomplete condition in the Grampian Museum in 1994, and a 1929 laundry van (ex-The Frederick Laundry, of Brixton), UU9762, in completely restored condition is owned by an HCVS member. It was featured some years ago in my By the Way column in The Automobile. The newly found example is early and could also date from the 1912 period. It still has the vestigial remains of its front wings, sits on all four wheels, is complete with engine (singly cast four cylinder), gearbox and transfer box, chain drive sprockets and chains, steering column and box, petrol tank, scuttle, pedals, brake and gear levers and much else. In the UK it would have been the subject of a retoration project years ago...

If there are any brave souls out there I can put them in touch with Noel.

There was then a follow up in the August 1999 edition:

The reports of the early Halley and Hallford lorries in Australia prompted a number of letters including one from Halley's Garage, in Milngavie, Glasgow. This is run by Ralph Halley, a descendant of the original Halley family. He sends us this photograph [not reproduced] of the Halley truck which his company preserves, and which was built by the same company as the truck we featured. The Grampian Transport Museum also expressed interest in the Halley. I've put them in touch with Noel Adams, in Queensland, who first reported it to me.

Hope this helps! And seems I was wrong in my earlier assumption that the GTM had only the one Halley. Apologies for that.

Halley 1.jpg

Halley 2.jpg

The chassis that was found in aust is that of mine and is about five miles down the road from aust. I saved it about four years ago as a caravan and thought it was a halley steam wagon even found a pic of one but in the past few months had an email from great war truck with a pic of a halley WD PETROL LORRY and it was identical to my chassis and since then found chassis drawings and found out its a six tonner and that its military. There are no military sovivours so hence why i want to rebuild it(only 99.9% left to do):help:

HI RUNFLAT I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE CONTACT FOR THE HALLEY TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT THANKS.

MWW still has a column in The Automobile magazine (and other old car magazines) and can be contacted via the editor. He'll be able to forward on your enquiries. Sounds like GTM has already been asking, so could be worth getting to know them as well.

http://www.the-automobile.co.uk/home.html

Extra: Just realised that 'clicking' on "contact" from the above link gives you MWW's direct details.

Extra (2): Look under Australia here: http://www.hcca.org/old/regional.html

Edited by Runflat

Extra (2): Look under Australia here: http://www.hcca.org/old/regional.html

That link only shows the contact address. No further info.

I have seen photos of these remains as taken by a visitor to the trucks, and understand the price quoted for them was some higher than high.

These were taken by a person looking for parts to assist in rebuilding a Halley here in NZ.

Doug

Thankyou for that i will chases that up why do people put well over inflated prices on stuff like this you can under stand it when its working or all there but when its rotten and most of it is missing and some times its only good for patterns. Im in the work shop this weekend working on the halley so i will try to post pics (im a slave to my own interests)

dan

• 2 weeks later...

HI thanks for that will try to obtain a copy i know the man who supplyed the info for that artical and he has sent me twenty odd drawings of a halley lorry so building from them but any other info to help with the project would be most apriciated. since my last posting i have made the front spring shackles four off machined out of solid and 2 brackets to hold them to the chassis im having trouble posting pics it wont recognise my pics as files very anoying but will keep trying so sorry about no pics yet:computerrage: anoying computer it wont beet me.

• 1 month later...

Here are the other pics as promised the first pic is of the spring shackel second pic is of the clutch wayshaft bracket therd is of the spring shackel bracket and forth is of both xlutch way shafts.The next part im going to make is the front dumb irons im thinking of fabracating them from steel but might toy with making a pattern fo them not shore yet.

DSC04406.JPG

DSC04405.JPG

DSC04411.JPG

DSC04404.JPG

Is there any chassis number stamped on your chassis? If so where?

I know of a heavy chassis here in NZ that has similar sliding rear spring mounts but no other ID plate or stamping found to date. It could be a Halley.

Thanks

Doug