what happened to the colection at grange cavern

While in College, I started producing paintings of the Vehicles at the Museum. I did my first job in Business for the Museum and subsequently produced the Artwork for several of their leaflets. As well as the set of postcards of vehicles at the museum, a couple of which I still have today, I did some of the background display images, and in particular the desert scene for the LRDG Chevrolet.

I have always had a keen interest in Military subjects for paintings, and so much of the reference material came from photos taken at the Grange Cavern. I did keep in touch with the Curator of the Museum, who concentrated on his haulage Business after it closed. I will have to scan some of the photos of the museum and post them for anyone interested.

Web Grange Cavern Lorry.jpg

Web Grange Cavern Leaflet.jpg

The guy who used to work at the museum repairing and restoring vehicles is a member of this forum. If he so chooses he may perhaps be able to shed some light on what happened to some of the vehicles. I know where 2 DUKW's in very poor condition went to but I suspect they would subsequently have been scrapped.

HI

I can throw some light on the fate of some of the vehicles when the museum closed in 1989 a small number where on

loan from the MOD these where recovered by a local army unit one a Humber Pig reg 30 BK 09 went on to have a short

but interesting life I still have the original file details

regards wally

Hi Rick (eddy8 men),

The Antar survived too, It now has a family home in Essex with caring owners.

Bw,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

That was one of my favourite images that I painted when I was in College. I still have the painting to this day. You wouldn't happen to have any more details about the owners would you?

Best Wishes,

David.

I've got the auction catalogue somewhere Rick with all the prices penciled in it, must dig it out ! more nostalgia. I also have loads of pictures stashed somewhere. Their most famous exihibit was the LRDG Chev smuggled out of the Libian desert in the early 1980's by a bunch of collectors. From what I recall they used a Bedford MK craned or winched it on the back then sheeted it up and drove away.

John.

I have the full story of the trip to Libiya to recover the Chevrolet. I don't know why but I did my College thesis on the trip and still have it amongst my reference books. I can share the details should anybody be that interested.

I have the full story of the trip to Libiya to recover the Chevrolet. I don't know why but I did my College thesis on the trip and still have it amongst my reference books. I can share the details should anybody be that interested.

Don't keep us in suspenders.:D

Do tell.

Don't keep us in suspenders.:D

Do tell.

Bear with me. I'll have to dig out the book and then I think the beat thing will be to scan it, then post it. It might take a while with the Oswestry show this weekend and a Classic Car to paint by the beginning of July. But keep an eye out I will post it and some of the photos I took at the Museum. A little nostalgia.

Bear with me. I'll have to dig out the book and then I think the beat thing will be to scan it, then post it. It might take a while with the Oswestry show this weekend and a Classic Car to paint by the beginning of July. But keep an eye out I will post it and some of the photos I took at the Museum. A little nostalgia.

I and many others on the forum will look forward to seeing these no doubt about that!

Scott

I and many others on the forum will look forward to seeing these no doubt about that!

Scott

Just a follow up to my recent post. I have found the Thesis, and it is only fifteen pages long. I am setting up my tent and finishing a cat portrait today. But I will as soon as possible, scan the pages and load them on here for all to read, bearing in mind I was only about twenty when I wrote it, so be gentle with the criticism. In the meantime here is a taster to wet the appetite so to speak.Web L.R.D.jpg

Scott

Well here it is, and I hope the wait is worth it. Don't forget that this was written the old fashioned way, with a type writer and then it was copied and pasted. Way before computer's. As it is fifteen pages I'll post it in three sections. Here's the first. Enjoy(I hope?)

Web Page 4.jpg

Web Title Page.jpg

Web Page 1.jpg

Web Page 2.jpg

Web Page 3.jpg

Well here it is, and I hope the wait is worth it. Don't forget that this was written the old fashioned way, with a type writer and then it was copied and pasted. Way before computer's. As it is fifteen pages I'll post it in three sections. Here's the first. Enjoy(I hope?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78496[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78499[/ATTACH]

As the text is a little too small to read, and the files are too big to upload normally I will have a look at this and re-post it this week.

If the size of the text is ok, then I will continue. Here's the second part.[ATTACH=CONFIG]78523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78525[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78526[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78527[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78528[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78530[/ATTACH]

Here is the final instalment. I hope you enjoyed the read.

Page 14.jpg

Page 10.jpg

Page 11.jpg

Page 12.jpg

Page 13.jpg

I have been searching some old photos and found some of the Cavern, both inside and out. Hope you enjoy, and please excuse the some of the picture quality, they were taken close over twenty five years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]78823[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78831[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78830[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78827[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78826[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78825[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78824[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78821[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78822[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78832[/ATTACH]

God that brings back some memories!!! One of my favourite haunts when a kid!

What happened to the carrier?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...