Field Kitchen ID

NuttyNick

I'm not sure if this is in the right topic section but at least its has American Jimmy wheels! :-)

I've had this field kitchen for a while but have not been too successful in fully identifying it :-(. I've seen a few wartime photos with something simillar but can't be sure its the same thing.

Apart from the Jimmy wheels it also has wartime dated lights, however, the real stumbling point is the towing hitch. It looks to me as if its a NATO type hitch. I would have expected it to be similar to a Ben Hur hitch if it was wartime?

Can anyone help identify it for me? The slightest bit of info would be a great help.

Cheers

Nick :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]

A bloke I know sells these down here in Kent and to me it looks as though it is Russian or German made, it does look the same as his ones, I thought the American ones had like an umbrella affair on top to cover over the ovens and also a griddle

Not me ,don't know anything about cooking :-P :-D

:oops: :oops: thought you may know Degs as you like old stuff :cry:#

Nick do you have any thoughts as to country/era it comes from? I think the post Russian kitchens have a 'crane' arrangement on them so you can left out the pots and deliver them to the soldiers.....

Jack - I have no idea about it. The bloke I got it off said that it might have come form Germany but wasn't sure. The Jimmy wheels may be a red herring and as I said before the hitch is a bit unusual, possibly NATO (although I'm not an expert on hitches!!). I rekon it is eastern european,

If it turns out to be post war I might do a bit of modification and make it look like a wartime one, put a better hitch on etc.

Thanks for the help guys.

Looking at the reg number on the back it couldbe French, the number format is right and the red/green diagonaly split square is Foreign Legion style.

The French used a lot of ex-US wartime equipment, just adapted it as they went along, could be why the hitch appears different.

Could be completely wrong of course! :?

Still looks good though!

Cheers

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

I've possibly managed to track down a bit more information on the kitchen. I was watching an old Beltring video someone lent me and it had a field kitchen very simillar to mine. It was narrated as being a 1936 French Marion(I think thats how you spell it) field kitchen.

It all looked pretty much the same although I couldn't see the hitch. Upon closer inspection the hitch on mine could be a later add-on.

So.........are there any experts on French field kitchens out there?!! :help:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm looking for one of these kitchen trailers to hang on to my wc51. Does anyone have more information about this field kitchen or similar. Doesn't have to be US or WW2. Someone mentioned a bloke down in Kent...

Merry x-mas evveryone!

Marty

Hi all,

The guy in Kent could well be Andrew Hemsley at The Woodstove Shop at Wildwood just outside Canterbury, his phone no. is 01227 711788. With regard to the photo I can see that it is pulled by a tractor. Does that help? I shall be so glad when Specsavers opens in Dymchurch! Happy New Year to you all.

John. :whistle:

Hi Marty,

As and when I find more info on my trailer I'll let you know. Do you know any of the Jeepfabriken guys in Norway? A couple of my mates go out to Norway each year to play in the snow with their jeeps - looks great fun!

With regard to the photo I can see that it is pulled by a tractor.

....and please note it is a green one!!

I located the The woodstove shop on the net, and sent them a mail. Not sure if the guy will get it and respond.

Yep, have heard of the magic the jeepfabrikken guys do to the jeeps. Visited their website a few times too. They are usually seen at Trandum, whenever there's a meeting there. http://www.geocities.com/weaponscarrier51/trandum2004bilder

Marty

• 2 months later...

Update follows:

Whilst looking through the pics on the website recommended by martylee I came across this one. The field kitchen looks very simillar to mine, although it appears to be missing the rear platform.

So far I have seen two other pics simillar to mine in WW2 museums but I've have not been able to positively ID it. The two museums were in France and it looks as if the guys in this photo are French (although I could be wrong).

Trawling through copies of Wheel and Tracks magazine I saw a restored Belgium GMC pulling a field kitchen the same as mine during one of the Bastogne commemorations.

Given the french markings on my trailer and the photos I've seen so far I'm assuming that mine is French and possibly pre-WW2.

If anyone can still provide further info then I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

• 2 months later...