68 Pattern Windproof Comparison

Eaglehurst

For interest - a comparison of 68 Pattern 'Marine' and so called 'SAS' type wind proofs.

Both size 5 and both HE Textiles....

Marine pattern is lighter material on right. Main differences - rank tabs front and back and wired hood on 'Marine' version.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Edited by Eaglehurst

Nice smocks ! ...and both a good size 5 !!!

The "SAS" version appeared first, around 1975 - 76, followed by the Windproof Arctic version by 1978........Soldier magazine around this time carried regular kit update articles detailing new SCRDE clothing developments, both smocks being announced around the mid-1970's....

Both versions remained unaltered until 1984 when the sizing changed to metric and the first field dressing pocket was added to the right arm of both.....also about the same time the rear rank attachment tab was deleted from the arctic smock........

The trousers for both smocks however, are completely different......the "SAS" type windproofs resembling the old green jungle trousers with crossover-belt waist fastening whereas the arctic version were styled on the 1968 standard pattern trousers but with larger pockets and vents in the lower legs to remove them over boots.......

It's incorrect to refer to either suits (and tropical combats) as "1968 pattern"......none of these garments appeared until the mid-1970's at the earliest.....:-D

is there anyway what lists what sizes are as size 5 looks pretty big

Size 5 equates to 180/104 approx in modern sizes. But these are windproofs so they come up pretty big. To give you an idea I am 6'2" and a 44" chest and they are big/loose on me.

Size 5 equates to 180/104 approx in modern sizes. But these are windproofs so they come up pretty big. To give you an idea I am 6'2" and a 44" chest and they are big/loose on me.

hmmm nice they would just about fist me as i am generally a 190/120

It's incorrect to refer to either suits (and tropical combats) as "1968 pattern"......none of these garments appeared until the mid-1970's at the earliest.....:-D

Point taken Steve - this just helps me with determining the difference between the earlier and later (post 84) versions. The whole 'year/pattern' approach is very misleading beacause, as you say, the patterns and years just do not match! I have tried (and failed) to explain this to folks on several occasions..!:D

hmmm nice they would just about fist me as i am generally a 190/120

That is what I would wear in modern gear for a comfortable fit with plenty of room underneath, but in old sizes and patterns it was more of a try it and see!

I can just about get away with 190/112 but it must be 190 as I am blessed(!) with the arm length of a gibbon!!:-D

That is what I would wear in modern gear for a comfortable fit with plenty of room underneath, but in old sizes and patterns it was more of a try it and see!

I can just about get away with 190/112 but it must be 190 as I am blessed(!) with the arm length of a gibbon!!:-D

lol i am just tall and in need of a getting a few pounds off lol bloody desk flying job grrr lol

• 2 weeks later...

Small snippet of info here if I may?

The S.A.S to my knowledge, NEVER wear Rank displayed in the Field. so any 'Original' smocks alledgedly from a 'Member' of 'The Regiment'. WITH Rank badges would NOT be correct.

If so found, it would have had a Rank badge added by another 'User' from a totally different Regiment. Who may have 'Acquired' it!

Im sure Neil would be able to clarify this?................Bravo Two Zero, this is 38 Alfa. Message over!..............................:D

Small snippet of info here if I may?

The S.A.S to my knowledge, NEVER wear Rank displayed in the Field. so any 'Original' smocks alledgedly from a 'Member' of 'The Regiment'. WITH Rank badges would NOT be correct.

If so found, it would have had a Rank badge added by another 'User' from a totally different Regiment. Who may have 'Acquired' it!

Im sure Neil would be able to clarify this?................Bravo Two Zero, this is 38 Alfa. Message over!..............................:D

Correct - no rank tabs on 'SAS' version only on 'Marine' version as per photos. Any rank tabs on SAS version would be later 'additions'.

Near Identical to the '68 Pattern RM Windproof apart from its '85 Pattern and made by Arktis not HE Textiles. Sorry, the quality is quite bad, these were taken on my iPhone.

I had to replace the Rear Rankslide with an Epaulette from a Modern Trop Shirt, similar colour, I couldn't find an original rear rank slide.

IMG_0133.jpg

I got this for £15 off ebay, the inside of the hood has a tear and a few cords are missing, other than that it was a bargain. I have worn this many times.

IMG_0134.jpg

Correct - no rank tabs on 'SAS' version only on 'Marine' version as per photos. Any rank tabs on SAS version would be later 'additions'.

One of my friends has a mint MArk 2 windproof smock which I am sure says Smock, Windproof, SAS. It has a draw cord hood and a slide on the front but not the rear. I will get photos in due course.

Jon

One of my friends has a mint MArk 2 windproof smock which I am sure says Smock, Windproof, SAS. It has a draw cord hood and a slide on the front but not the rear. I will get photos in due course.

Jon

Jon - would love to see photos as I have not yet come across a genuine issue item that has 'SAS' in the label. Having said that I didn't beleive in the existence of 1963 Pattern windroof trousers until I saw a pair a couple of weeks ago so I am always happy to be proved wrong!

It is exactly the same as the normal Mark 2 windproof n that 84 pattern material that is not as squishable as the 68's. But it has no wire in the hood just the draw cord and just the rank slide on the front. Recently much to my suprise some Mark 2 SAS trousers also have apeared on Evilbay with the cross over belt etc. I did not know that they existed.

Jon

Jon - would love to see photos as I have not yet come across a genuine issue item that has 'SAS' in the label. Having said that I didn't beleive in the existence of 1963 Pattern windroof trousers until I saw a pair a couple of weeks ago so I am always happy to be proved wrong!

I doubt if you will find any issue British combat clothing bearing "SAS" on the label.........this reference is normally only found in the detail issue description of the item in the NSN QM's catalogue.........part of the requirements for covert operations include having nothing on you to identify you as part of "special forces" so "SAS" on any label would be, quite frankly, as ridiculous as wearing a T-shirt beneath your smock with "I'm in the SAS" emblazoned on the front...:-D

Many commercial copies of garments do have "SAS" on the label, including items made by official MoD contractors. This is because the garments were likely ordered with this on to enhance sales to the unwary or otherwise......

• 5 years later...