T-36 Iron Fireman Snow Tractor info wanted

Gordon_M

While I've been tinkering with the T-36 Snow Tractor I've noticed something that I couldn't explain.

All the full and half track snow tractors I've seen have been USA 40xxxxx serial numbers, and that includes the Tucker 743 Sno-Cat in Crismon which is a tracked snow tractor for arctic conditions, so why do the three surviving T-36 units with known numbers have USA 91xxxxx hood numbers ?

Apparently USA 90xxxxx serial numbers were known to be assigned to obselete equipment, but has anyone ever seen any documentation as to why something would get a USA 91xxxxx serial number? All help appreciated here.

t3600109.jpg

Thanks Adrian,

yes the T-36 units had Ordnance serials from 3 to 38 according to the lists, meaning 1 & 2 must have been the early versions with the cab offset to the rear. Definitely the USA number with a 91 prefix though, as the single wartime image shows USA 9155628 on trial.

Maurice helpfully sent me a gauge from Belgium, but it was snaffled by the border patrol - resumably because of the radium dial paint.

Steve Greenberg sent me an original used oil pressure gauge and a water temperature gauge to match my dashboard image, and Brent Mullins sent me two oil pressure gauges NOS in the box with G231 codes - packed or repacked in 1953.

Gauges2.jpg

As of today I need a 100 amp ammeter, speedometer, and a gas gauge, although I'm sure the standard Dodge fuel gauge would work. You can see in the image that the GAS gauge is an earlier type of flat bezel gauge, compared to the conventional bezel on the rest of them. Since it is a 1944 vehicle I think the later, more common FUEL gauge would actually be correct.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

The part number listing is definitely the G104 number I quoted right back at the start, G104-6208454 / B208454 / AC-1567470, so if that's what you have I'm happy to get it. I only have one dashboard image, and although the dash is original I'm sure all of these things had a factory rebuild so the gauges could be anything - for example that GAS gauge is earlier than the dash as that style went out in 1941 and was replaced by the standard FUEL type. In fact the Parts List calls it a FUEL gauge rather than a GAS gauge.

I vaguely remember that someone said the speedo pictured was the same as the M7 snow tractor as well, with the reset on the front, but basically I don't have a speedo at all, so if you have a G104 one I'm happy.

The speedo cable part number just has an Iron Fireman G231 code on it and a description of 60", so unique to the vehicle, but I'm sure a standard 3/4 ton Dodge unit will fit, given the position of the speedo relative to the gearbox outlet fitting. If the early cable isn't long enough, then the later one for the 6 x 6 Dodge where it had to run all the way to the transfer case certainly will be as that is listed at 70".

( You just can't have to many Manuals and Parts Lists 8-)

I'll zip over to G503 and have a look at Ernie's speedo for sale though, thanks for the mention, but would still like yours.

Later, in another part of the forest...

I had a look at Ernie's ad - that's exactly the same as the image, but he has sold it to Tom anyway. By coincidence I have some T-26E4 / M7 Snow Tractor NOS spares here for Tom - maybe I should put dibs on the speedo tom has in his M7 at the minute/

sigh - day late and dollar short

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

• 1 month later...

Back to the Iron Fireman again;

t36cabpu.jpg

Unbolted the cab cross tubes and used an old socket as an impact hammer to pull them

t36cab.jpg

Cab off, remaining plywood will probably go in the bin, much easier to do the necessary repair riveting with this amount of access.

t36fnd.jpg

Main centre section and drivers position, showing winch under seat.

t36fnd2.jpg

Drive section closeup, seat, over winch, over cross tube for walking beams, note that the drive spur gears from the Cletrac diff are in front of this pivot point, but the angular offset is very little.

Gordon

• 2 months later...

t3600118.jpg

Battery box with insulated, stand-off floor

t3600116.jpg

Remains of heater tube, shell, oval, soldered to underside of standoff panel

t3600117.jpg

Starter pedal button, complete with retaining ledge for sealing gaiter.

t3600119.jpg

Main drive components visible now that the drivers compartment is off

t3600120.jpg

Drivers compartment, pulled for blasting

t3600121.jpg

Fuel tank takeoff pipe with isolator. There's one tank in each track frame with conventional US big filler point. Takeoff point with isolator is at the lower inner corner of each tank, but only the tank in the right track frame has provision for a fuel guage sender.

t3600123.jpg

Right hand cab door ( no point in using terms like ' passengers side ' as the T-36 drivers position is central ) Structurally fine, but a line of rot right across the sheetmetal joint with the lower frame section. There's a suggestion of similar damage on the angled section but it didn't look bad - at this point.

t3600125.jpg

Rotten section cut back, ready for piecing in with new metal.

t3600126.jpg

... and the completed edge. After I'd pieced in the bottom section I discovered the angled section wouldn't repair without some assistance, so I had to clean it out and put a plate behind it to weld through a few weak points. I'll phosphate the lower inner section before priming and undersealing it internally, then I'll reattach the outer handle and plate over the inner handle gap temporarily till it gets blasted and primed. It'll need a small amount of high strength filler on the repaired section and then it should be good for another 68 years as there are no moving parts other than the hinge and door catch - windows are fixed.

Indeed, Degsy, but when it is measured in hours per month you know it isn't going to be usable any time soon...

I took this on as I seemed to be the only one who didn't view making tracks as a problem, but going to leave that till the rest is up and running.

Indeed, Degsy, but when it is measured in hours per month you know it isn't going to be usable any time soon...

I took this on as I seemed to be the only one who didn't view making tracks as a problem, but going to leave that till the rest is up and running.

Better you than me but you must have some ideas up your sleeve regarding the tracks.:D

• 2 years later...

Time for a T-36 update. It is still in many, many pieces but making progress.

T_36_DCOP.jpg

Drivers compartment blasted, primed, and repainted silver.

T_36_LAYOUT_SMALL.jpg

Basic spring and suspension layout.

T_36_TRACK_ADJUSTER_SMALL.jpg

Track adjuster as received.

T_36_TRACK_ADJUSTER_REMOVED_SMALL.jpg

Track adjuster off

T_36_TRACK_ADJUSTER_PRIMED_SMALL.jpg

Track adjuster blasted and primed

T-36_ADJUSTER_ON.jpg

Track adjuster cleaned, re-tapped & refitted.

T-36_ADJUSTER_WRENCH.jpg

Track adjuster wrench, 2¼” hex drive, found this one on E-Bay, probably not original but works.

T-36_KIT_SMALL.jpg

T-36 Tool Kit. Still need to add the Alemite Grease Gun which I have somewhere, plus grease gun extension, and the Kidde CO2 Extinguisher which is en route from the US – luckily the mounting bracket comes with it.

Edited by Gordon_M

• 1 year later...