GMC 352's

Hi All I have been working on a rebuild of a GMC 352 non winch modeL and an early one its fitted with Banjo axles and has the early braking system. The body is in the blasting bay waiting to be blasted and painted.

The other Gmc 352 is still being stripped down in readyness for blasting, this is going to be something a bit different I am putting togeather a tractor unit. I sourced the fifth Wheel from the US, the fifth is made by a canadian company by the name of Dofasco, there are some cast numbers on it and possibly the year it was cast this being 11.6.40 but i am yet to see if I can find this out. here are a few pics.

Howard

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That CCKW 352 Hard Cab that used to be mine is really starting to look good Howard. I really like the finish of the Olive Drab and the front bumper is a definite improvement!

Their is a good picture of this particular Truck in Pat Ware's 'Red Ball Express' book on page 182, when it was photographed at Belting some years ago with the name BOSSDOG painted across the bonnet.

The truck had plenty of grunt and ran extremely smoothly, so I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Hi Clive

I was a bit sceptical about using that paint, but after using it on a certain Dodge Carryall I had no worrys about using it.I think the formula for the paint has been improved it sprays very well. I am taking a tin to a local paint supplier so they can can match it up, this way should get a saving on postage, and the cost of paint. I dont suppose you have a spare glass for the windscreen the drivers side in this one has a crack. I had the truck running and it started up straight away, sounded very nice but these old GMC's always do sound nice.

Thanks Howard

Hi Howard

You certainly don't hang around!! All looking good, as usual.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with getting the paint matched, as that is the same colour I plan for you to use on the Chevy.

Yet to find any spare time to start stripping the Chevy, but hopefully the end of this week should see a start made.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Paul

Hello Paul

I have not done a great deal to it, but I sat the 5th wheel on the chassis just to see how it looked and I think its going to work out well. I have worked out how to do the braking on the trailer so that wont be a problem. Just got to find a flat bed trailer to plant the living van on.Dont think it will be on the circuit this year. I will let you know how i get on with the paint if the colour turns out ok I will put in a order for 50 litres.

Regards

Howard

Hi Clive

Yes thanks I got the glass fitted in yesturday, I was quite suprised how easy they both came apart so thats a big result.I have had a set back on the fuel tank but nothing a bit of brazing cant fix,heres a pic of the truck so far.Since the picture all of the lights are now wired up and working, And it starts on the button good oil pressure ect, The interior of the cab is just about finished and fitted. Just got the floor pan to fit.

Thanks Howard

IMAG0538.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hi Clive

Yes thanks I got the glass fitted in yesturday, I was quite suprised how easy they both came apart so thats a big result.I have had a set back on the fuel tank but nothing a bit of brazing cant fix,heres a pic of the truck so far.Since the picture all of the lights are now wired up and working, And it starts on the button good oil pressure ect, The interior of the cab is just about finished and fitted. Just got the floor pan to fit.

Thanks Howard

I think those front bumper hooks may be on the wrong way around. Its difficult to tell from this angle, but I think the hooks should be pointing outwards and not inwards. I may be mistaken.

Doesn't it look fantastic though in that paint and once the marking are on, that will be one smart wagon!

Any idea's what markings its going to be in - USAAF, Armoured, Red Ball Express markings??

Just a quick update on the 352 restorations, The 352 cargo truck is going well, all of the electrics is now done and the interior of the cab is just about finished. The cargo body is going under the blaster on Tuesday next week, and should be primed. As for the 352 Tractor unit the chassis is now free of the winch,thanks to some help from another GMC owner and all of the brake pipes are now removed togeather with all earth wires ect. This now is also ready for blasting but this will be done as and when I get some free time, thats if I get any.I will post some more pics of the trucks tomorrow.

Regards Howard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Jeff and Richard sorry for late reply, its all fine here in suffolk and the weather has been been great a few spots of rain but nothing to speak of, although the farmers could do with it. Heres a pic of the 352 cargo so far.Its coming togeather well, I should have had it finished but I have had other work in so have had to fit it in when I can. As for the 352 tractor thats on the back burner just untill i get the other jobs out of the way, as you said Richard it will be quite a rare vehicle. as you say though the trailer is going to be the hard bit to find, I would like a box trailer to convert into living quarters and a small step frame trailer. But the box trailer can come first.

Cheers Howard

IMAG0585.jpg

Edited by HWade

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a quick update on the GMC 353 tractor unit, the chassis has now been blasted and painted, i have had spacers made so that the fifth wheel can fit on the chassis with out fowling up on the rivets, once i got the spacer plates on i lifted on the fifth wheel and marked out the holes to be drilled. I then set about drilling out the holes using a magnetic drill. The fifth wheel is now fitted to the chassis, I have also now got the engine and gear box also installed. I have attached a couple of pics of the chassis I shall get a pic of the unit with the engine in. Thats it for now.

Howard

IMAG0610.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

Hello every one thanks for your comments, I am afraid to say Rossie that they wont be ready for the Little Friends weekend, but dare I say I will be taking my Praga for camping in, and I think if I twist Clives arm I can nobble one of his GMCs to play with.Failing that I will have to grab a ride with somebody. The problem I have at the moment is tracking down to rear demountable drums for a slit axle.

The tractor unit is coming on the radiator is now on, and all of the hydrovac is connected up, all of the brake pipes are in place, I have hoaned all of the rear brake cylinders I just have to get some new rubber seal cups.and also collect the new flexi brake pipes.I also need the bottom metal radiator pipe the one I had was rotten but I can make one if I cant get one. Just got to decide weather I go hard cab or open cab. Well thats it for now.See you at the event.

Howard

Two drums like these Howard?

They are surplus to my requirements, let me know if you are interested, although it will be a while before i can get the spannering time to remove them....They are from a split GMC rear axle as far as i know.

Ken

drum2.jpg

drum2 (1).jpg

Hello Ken

Yes please they are the drums I am looking for if you let me when they are available depending where you are I can collect or get a courier to collect and deliver.

Many Thanks

Howard