WW1 Water Cart

Horse Transport

What an incredible find. I guess from the extra wheels that someone has already had a bash at restoring it. I am sure you will do a fantastic job on it.

I took the wheels with me to make my life easier they are from a Gs Wagon i have been playing with over the last two years , so its new wheels and plenty of elbow grease !

It's Amazing what can be found on E-bay,It certainly shot up in price in the last few hours.

I informed Mr Butler of it but as long as its in the right hands !

Good luck .

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

Yes there was daft bidding on it, never understand bidding things up i always set my top price for something and wack it on in the the last seconds , if i get it great if not and i was more than i was up for paying then my loss .... did it on a glengarry badge once £300 in the last few seconds got it for £28 :laugh: another time there was a button at £67 bid £150 in dying seconds it sold for over £300:shocked: nothing as queer as folk i guess !

What a lovely cart! Do you know which Mk of cart this is and the maker?

Photographs of water tank carts are hard to find, especially those with 'circular' section tanks - those with a 'D' section seem to be slightly more common. Here are some from my collection (not for reproduction), which you may find of interest.

Water Cart 1.jpg

Water Cart 2.jpg

Water Cart 3.jpg

Edited by Runflat

Thanks Rob. They are rather nice. Though they do look a tad uncomfortable to drive!

Years ago I had a look through file MUN 4/2770 at the National Archive. I can't now remember anything about the contents, though I did obtain copies of these letters - as much for the letterheads as anything. They all discuss the supply of parts for water tanks, said to be Mk VI types, but I've not seen any mention of this type in my reference books, so no idea what they look like. The manufacturers are: W H Arnold & Co, 31 York Place, Baker Street, London; Keep & Company, Barn Street, Birmingham; and Brice & Harrison, 144-146 Sherborne Street, Birmingham. (Double click on the images to expand.)

Brice & Harrison.jpg

Keep & Co.jpg

W H Arnold & Co.jpg

Edited by Runflat

The ASC manual for 1909 shows only the D shape type and lists them as mk's 11 and 11B ,I have scourced some constuctional drawings which unseen as yet relate to a mk 1v Im hoping this will turnout to be ! sadly as yet no makers name but it may come to light when i remove any rust from the axle, Thanks for the pictures

• 7 months later...