new arrival yesterday at work

Mobile target trolley.

i've been expecting you mr barrell

spot on its a wickham trolley it would have a cut out of a tank or other target and then travel acros the range the when it reaches the other side a lever trips under neath and it reveses the drive and back it heads to be shot at again .

Its powered by a lovely little J.A.P 2 cylinder engine which i believe does run but we havent tried it yet.

There use to be the same small guage set up at Feldom Range above Richmond but the line was taken up along time ago,Lydd also had one and if you are looking for that line I believe it was taken up last year and is now in storage at Deep Cut.Why ,I dont know !

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

I carried out some work on Wickham trolleys from Lydd Ranges, many years ago, mainly on the engines, which are JAP V-twins, with fluid flywheels. I seem to recollect the trip levers actuated from stops on the track, applied the brakes and knocked the throttle off, not sure about reversing the drive.

Nice to see another one of these survives,There is one on display at the Caernarfon Air Museum which is said to have come from the gunnery range at Hells Mouth. It was very original including the paint until last year when someone painted it gloss grey/white:nut:

Edited by M.Rimmer
Correct Error

There use to be the same small guage set up at Feldom Range above Richmond but the line was taken up along time ago,Lydd also had one and if you are looking for that line I believe it was taken up last year and is now in storage at Deep Cut.Why ,I dont know !

Rob.................rnixartillery.

A while ago, i was talking to a chap who had the job of putting a value on MOD equipment when closing down a site etc. In this case it was HMS Thunderer. He was telling me then, that british railway steal line was selling at £20 000 a mile. this was in the late 1980's.

A while ago, i was talking to a chap who had the job of putting a value on MOD equipment when closing down a site etc. In this case it was HMS Thunderer. He was telling me then, that british railway steal line was selling at £20 000 a mile. this was in the late 1980's.

I think the line that was taken into Deep Cut for storage has been put aside for a future museum project bareing in mind some of this small gauge railway dates back to the First World War !

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

rnixartillery

There use to be the same small guage set up at Feldom Range above Richmond but the line was taken up along time ago,Lydd also had one......

They are probably in storage as they are still fairly common place, OTA has 2 large mobile targets at Crigdon hill (Stone in the mire) and Bushmans road whether this one is still operative I don't know some track work took place some time ago but it could have been replacement of damaged sections of track. -There is also a small one near the firing point at ATGW 1. but is a different guage and general size than the other 2.

You don't own a white Persian cat do you....? :D

Nice find, now all you need is some rail......

My wife couldn't understand why I was staring into the computer screen crying with laughter, I have to add that she is from Thailand, and explaining 'Barrell humour' would be impossible, so she stalked off muttering "man falang ting tong". This threw me into a deeper paroxism of mirth which hurt my stomach, not good after a major hernia repair. Adrian, I need a month off work to recover from too much laughing.

What a lovely wickham target trolley if you need some war department jubilee track to run it on talk to patrick keef at alan keef engineering at leigh line ross on wye they are very helpful. there is also still alot of track around monkton farleigh amunition depot in wiltshire that could probably be purchased if you talked to restore who now own it......