A few basic questions...

diggerdog36

Question

We are thinking of getting an MV, unsure what type but I really fancy an FV432.

My questions are...

1. How reliable are they?

2. How often would it need servicing/brakes/clutch etc?

3. How much can we expect to pay for transport/low loader to and from shows?

4. What does the power pack weigh if lifted out?

Cheers people, goofy questions I know, but they are bugging me!!

5 answers to this question

1. How reliable are they?

2. How often would it need servicing/brakes/clutch etc?

3. How much can we expect to pay for transport/low loader to and from shows?

4. What does the power pack weigh if lifted out?

1) They are fairly reliable, especially with the limited use they will get in civvy street.

2) You can buy the servicing schedule which answers these questions, there is no clutch and the steering brakes rarely need adjustment. The only problem being to do a proper service on the pack you need to lift it out.

3) How long is a piece of string? It depends how far away the show is, who's doing the transport etc.

4) The pack is 1814kg.

Chris

Get a road registered 432 and drive it to the local shows.

The question of whether DVLA will register a 432 or not is still not very clear. It would seem to depend on where you live and what you put down on the register forms.

I drove mine to a show completing a 100 mile round trip.

If you look after them mechanically - they tend to be very reliable.

On the servicing side, apart from the usual daily/weekly checks of levels etc., most items in the schedule are done on a lesser of miles/engine hours/time basis, which means you'll almost certainly meet the "yearly" criterion before anything else. There have been suggestions about modifying the rear engine bulkhead to allow access to the oil filters; if that's done then you'll only need to remove the pack for repairs.

I'm sure sharky will be along soon to give you a proper operator's perspective!

Andy

I would never suggest the shortcut of modifying the rear bulk head to enable the oil filters to be changed with out removing the pack.

Pack removal is a vital part of the servicing and maintanence programme.

It's only when the pack is removed can you check all the clips, hoses and feed lines. The first you would notice something is wrong is when something breaks or over heats.

Pack removal isn't hard as long as you have the right lifting frame.

I'm speaking through personal experience as we removed my pack at War and Peace after suffering oil loss on a massive scale.

If I had practiced what I am now preaching - I could have spotted the issue long before it bacame an issue.

Armoured vehicles need their packs lifted and any shortcuts taken on this issue will lead to certain failure at some point.

If you can get one, a spare pack makes a lot of sense. This enables you to change the pack over and then you can service the removed pack without losing the use of the vehicle.

Markheliops