Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle regestering

Default Vehicle regestering

Hi all

Might be a stupid thing to ask but what is a Q plate. The landrover we are working on is on a Q plate so is it OK to drive on the road :?
    Also do we need to contact DVLA to re-register the old girl.
    Many thanks
    Tony :tup:

2. Advertisement

Default Re: Vehicle regestering

Tony,

I do not know what age your Land Rover is, but if it were pre-1972 (I think, give or take a year), it could be exempt Road Tax...........BUT, not if it has a Q plate. These were issued where no proof of year of manufacture was given on registration, or it may have been imported. Way to get a normal age related plate is for the vehicle to be vetted by one of the DVLA approved clubs, such as IMPS or MVT in military circles, for its year of manufacture, etc.

Richard
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

I believe that "Q" plates were issued for "vehicles of indeterminate age and origin" It was frequently used for stolen recovereds or ringed "cut and shut" jobs where the original identity was not traceable. It always used to cause problems getting insurance.

It should also be issued to a vehicle built up from parts but the age-related scheme (which I think started after "Q" plates were introduced) has let many people get away with it. If a Land-rover was built around a replica chassis with a TDi motor, should it really run on an age-related plate ? Technically, it should have had a "Q"

Unfortunately, some owners who didn't do their homework properly ended up with "Q"s as well.

Removal of a "Q" plate once issued will not be easy. "Starting again" :wink: might be the easiest option if you want an age-related plate
    "Always avoid the flashy use of the throttle so dear to the young, sporty boy". (with apologies to the Army Kinematograph Service).

All I know about the vehicle is that it spent all of its working life at Boscombe down. We do have two plates riveted to the inside of the cab.
    Tony

[attachment deleted by admin]

before the age related tax exemption rules came in I had already registered one of my Ferrets on a "Q" plate as this was in those days a lot simpler form of registration than getting an age related plate.

I have now changed it to an age related registration. Do not try to do this by post you will just end up going round in circles. It is much better to go in person to your local DVLA regional office:

- explain what you want (and that it is a military vehicle and will need someone who is intelligent enough to appreciate that NO it is not the same as a car :x)

- present a letter from one of the approved clubs recognised by the DVLA as able to issue proof of age certificates (ie effectively the MVT or IMPS - you may be charged a small fee by the club for doing this)

- establish if the the local office will require to inspect the vehicle, this may be down at their office (if you currently have valid road tax on your vehicle and can legally drive on the public road) or, as in my case, argue with them until they agree to send a mobile vehicle inspector to your location to do an on site inspection.

- wait for them to post a new tax disc and amended V5 registration document

- all in all fairly simple if you get them in the right mood

John
    Ferrets: Mk1/2 00EC25, Mk2 00DA57, Mk1 02CC44
    Morris C8 GS Z5812059, CVR(W) Fox 01GM40, Landy 101 62FL16

Would I be right in thinking that before the rules on getting reg numbers for vehicles were relaxed most kit cars you saw were fitted with Q plates?
    Some bigger boys made me do it.

I was there! ....... A&E 2010.............. oh yes and 2012

I have been up to the museum tonight and spoke to the main man and he has informed me that when the vehicle was passed over to the museum no paperwork came with it. He also told me that non of the vehicles have documents so before we start working on them it looks like a trip to the local DVLA offices may be in order, To be honest I haven't got an problem with the Q plate on the Landrover so cant I just keep it and have a set of mili plates maid up just for show use .
    Thanks chaps
    Tony

In the case of Land Rover the Heritage Museum may be of assistance in finding out the date of manufacture.

If you have the chassis number they should be able to provide you with the relevant details

Hope this is of help

You can keep the "Q" if you want to but when I worked in motor insurance (which was years ago) anything above Third Party only was almost impossible for "Q"s as Insurers always thought they were cobbled together from mismatched parts.

I believe also that they have an effect on certain Traffic Policemen. Some Police Forces have a habit of causing them to be applied to vehicles that they are certain have been stolen but can't trace the previous identity of in order to prove theft. There is sometimes only evidence that the original carrier of a number was so badly damaged (by fire for instance) that the vehicle now in use must be a "ringer" in which case they get "Q"d.

What year does the military registration tie it to ? As Kewelde says, if it's pre-72 ish then you are doing yourself out of free road tax if you keep the "Q".
    "Always avoid the flashy use of the throttle so dear to the young, sporty boy". (with apologies to the Army Kinematograph Service).

What is the mil reg number? you can find the age from that, I have a list & can let you know the year into service.

Cheers
    Ian
    UK military vehicle register http://mvregister.bravehost.com/<br />http://mvwf.co.uk/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information