2012 MOT Changes

Got this sent through from a caravaning group today - it's the planned changes to the MOT for 2012. Of particular note is the fact towing electrics will become a part of the test then. The attached file refers to the 7 pin "N" and "S" as well as the 13 pin Euro sockets. No idea how they will treat the NATO standard sockets on Landies.

Change Table 2009-40-Items Only.pdf

Got this sent through from a caravaning group today - it's the planned changes to the MOT for 2012. Of particular note is the fact towing electrics will become a part of the test then. The attached file refers to the 7 pin "N" and "S" as well as the 13 pin Euro sockets. No idea how they will treat the NATO standard sockets on Landies.

Yes -- very interesting. We have an MOT line -- I'll ask the question tomorrow. It would be very interesting to get thier view, because even MOT exempt vehicles have to be compliant with the law

No idea how they will treat the NATO standard sockets on Landies.

Interested about the Warner socket too on old landies and Piggy!

I suspect if it isn't a 12N / 12S or 13 pin socket they would ignore it??????

Surely only electrics or components with an 'E' mark as elegible??

The thing that intrigued me was how on earth do they propose testing these?? OK the 13 pins are all wired to a standard configuration but the 12N/S socket wirings were only ever recommendations. It's not illegal to have, say, the indicator pins switched provided the plug on the trailer matches.

Me thinks they are going too far down the "nanny state" path for their own good.....

The thing that intrigued me was how on earth do they propose testing these?? OK the 13 pins are all wired to a standard configuration but the 12N/S socket wirings were only ever recommendations. It's not illegal to have, say, the indicator pins switched provided the plug on the trailer matches.

Me thinks they are going too far down the "nanny state" path for their own good.....

Youa re probably right there. However it is a total waste of time and effort when the numpty pulling the trailer cannot even be arsed to plug it in, or even have lights on the trailer.

Mike

Thats all very well

But if you have a NATO socket on your Lwt like me and have no trailer you don't want to fail an MOT coz someone doesn't understand what a NATO socket is for or how it works.

Having said that I did hitch up to a Sankey trailer just to test the restored wiring worked, which it did.

I suggest all historic & classic vehicle owners start campaigning for a re-introduction of a 25 year or even 30 year roling date for 'historic status' (I'm told 30 year roling date is is used in most EU states) and have the testing regime 'typically' match the date on manufacture without trying to make vehicles meet more stringent testing as if they were brand new or god forbid be subject to any compulsory retropective modifcations (airbags in Jeeps etc!).

BTW - I appreciate the Gov't thinks history stops at 1st Jan 1973 and I'll never get free Car Tax - but in truth I'd rather have the knowledge that I can enjoy my MV without worrying about LEZs or tougher MOT rules especially as I do a very low milage

• 3 weeks later...
...and have the testing regime 'typically' match the date on manufacture...

The testing regime does match the year of manufacture; there's no obligation to meet any requirements introduced after the vehicle was built.

If a NATO socket is not mentioned in the manual it can't be a reason for failure, unless it fails under the visual examination of wiring condition. Nor can the 12N / 12S socket wiring unless physically deteriorated. The pdf linked to only mentions visually examining 7 and 13 pin sockets and only calls for Euro 13 pin sockets, which should have standard wiring, to be actually tested.

Edited by Sean N