Help Wanted - War Film Scenes to use on Wartime Model Railway.

Jessie The Jeep

Some of you may have seen the thread I started a while back about converting a 1/144 scale Fletcher Class Destroyer to a Liberty Ship ( thread here - Liberty Ship model ). The future owner of the railway has been watching war films looking for inspiration for small scenes to model on the railway. For example, one such scene will be from the 'Dad's Army' film with the out of control steam roller squashing the tents.

The layout plan is shown below. The finished size will be around 30 feet x 11 feet. The main features of the layout will be a town with station, a country station, a mine, an US airbase, a munitions factory, loco depot, river, loco overhaul works, quayside ( which is almost finished ) and a POW Camp.

small_layout_plan.jpg

So, from your favourite war films, can you think of a small scene that could be modelled to fit into the layout somewhere? If the owner likes the idea, it will be included in this monster layout.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Beginning of The Eagle Has Landed. Michael Caine chins an SS officer who is abusing Jews heading for a death camp. In the background is a Stug 3 on a flat.

Possibly not right for this layout, but change the Stug for a Sherman or whatever. In HO/OO it doesn't really matter whether a crowd between two trains is Jewish victims or Cockernee nippers being evacuated to Wales.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I forgot to mention that this layout is N scale, so the figures are only 10 to 12mm tall, which limits what I can do with individual figures. Jeep in a ditch is a good one. We will be having a train load of tanks and probably other military vehicles. Popping the bonnet might be a little difficult due to most trucks only being 3/4 inch long.

One scene I want to do, although changing the army from German to Allied, is the fuel truck accident from Battle of the Bulge. I'll have a truck crashed by the river or stream, with empty 45 gallon drums tipped out and floating down stream.

There will also be a damaged Lancaster that has put down at the US airfield, and a crash landed German Ju88 bomber being guarded by Home Guard troops. Somewhere on the layout will be some troops on exercise.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Thanks for the ideas so far. I forgot to mention that this layout is N scale, so the figures are only 10 to 12mm tall, which limits what I can do with individual figures. Jeep in a ditch is a good one. We will be having a train load of tanks and probably other military vehicles. Popping the bonnet might be a little difficult due to most trucks only being 3/4 inch long.

One on tow? A figure underneath? The tanker in the ditch would be a chance for the NFS to put in a guest apperance.

Funny you should say that. I told the owner to buy a second hand HGV, build the layout in the back and go on tour!!!

I wish! I'd love to see it for real. Is there a way you could rig overhead black and white Enemy reconnasonce pictures?