bedford mk fuel pump

David Ives

Question

ok as i fixed the fuel pump thanks to chris g can anyone tell me how to prime the fuel pump as its suposed to be a non blead system but as i have air in the system how can i empty the air out and draw fuel througth the system as no bl;ead valve on governer

5 answers to this question

Just split each joint upstream of the pump in turn, either working the pump priming lever or turning the engine over, until you get diesel at each joint. Once it's up to the pump, crack each injector in turn until you get fuel there too. Once you've done 3 or 4 of the injectors it will probably start.

If you try the airline method mentioned above make sure you have the pressure of the airline wound right down. You won't need more than about 10 psi, preferably about half that. My dad used to have a diesel cap for his lorry that had an airline coupling fitted to it, and a hose and regulator that connected to the lorry's airtanks. Having seen him give himself a bath in diesel I can definitely say it gets really messy if you put too much pressure in!

Glen.

Switch it on! If it's an MK it should have an electric lift pump and continuous venting from the injector pump. I seem to remember they bleed no problem by switching the ignition on and waiting a short while (though I think there might have been one or two stubborn ones where I had to crack open the injector pipes and spin the engine over briefly to get them fully bled)

Edited by Sean N
Trying to get rid of duplicate words at line ends!

now done had to crack 1 of the injector pipes as air was blocking presure to get fuel througth the pump

now working althougth a little bit smokey so probably new injectors soon

I think you will find that it will smoke untill it gets up to operating temp.

Al