Yahoo! Look what i've found!

Great War truck

Been searching for 12 years and it arrived today straight off of E bay. I got it for $300, but as it is an original correct one i would probably have paid $1,000.

DSCN2773.jpg

Now you are all probably wondering what it is. Anybody want to have a guess?

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link edit

Well done. Quite right. It is a Peerless built carb for a WW1 Peerless trucks. Generally the Peerless carbs were considered to be useless and changed for Solex ones. Incredibly rare to to find an original one. It weighs in at 18 pounds and cost about £50 postage. If the seller had cleaned some of the cr*p off of it it would have reduced the weight by a pound i am sure. Crazy hobby eh?

Tim (too)

Matt

I was holding off asking you what carb you had as you say it has now gone i didnt want to embark on such a trip of dissapointment. However, it has got too much for me. Can you tell me what sort of carb you had until recently? Or maybe this is another one of those humourous wind ups?

Tim (too)

Hi Tim,

Not a wind up! I honestly can't remember the makers name but it was US made and the patent numbers dated it to 1907. It was a large brass/bronze thing of a similar design to the one you posted. I found it when I was ten on the smallholding I grew up on,I found out it had come from a very large Crossley marine engine which had been used in a mine across the valley. By chance a few years ago I met the guy who is now restoring the engine so I gave the carb to him,however last time I spoke to him he was looking for the correct carb,the US unit having been fitted to the engine after it went to the mine.

I will ask him if he still has it next time I see him.

Matt.

Sounds interesting. Love all that early stuff. A lot of the early marine engines were the same or at least similar to the WW1 truck engines.

Anyway. Look what we have found now!!

DSCN1291.jpg

As this one is a fairly easy one, i will tell you. it is an original WW1 Peerless petrol tank. Never fitted, with makers plate and all. What a find - by a very good friend who passed it on to us, i must say. Friends! The best part of this mad hobby of ours.

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!

Hi Tim,

I'll get you some details of the mine/marine engine,when I say big I mean BIG :schocked: I remember seeing it as a kid when it was still in situ. As an idea of scale the foot of one valve is something like 6" across.

All kinds of things turn up in the quarries and mines around here,my brother recently found what appears to be a steam crane in a quarry,the problem is actually getting close to the thing.

That fuel tank looks like a nice find!.

Matt.