What are peoples favourite items in the Museum Collection?

Been a few years since my last visit (due to go again soon) - but from memory it was the Churchill Crocodile...

If you haven't been in the last couple of years you wont have seen the Museums new hall "The Tank Story". This is were one of the Museums Churchill tanks reside along with the Crocodile Trailer Unit.

My favourite has got to be Whippet: two engines, two clutches, two crash gearboxes, two (hand) throttles, steering by shutting the throttle on one engine. How could anyone operate such a thing under operational conditions.

By the way, the lottery bid that ended up restoring Tiger 131 was only half the bid: the other suggestion was to get Whippet running but the National Lottery would only fund the German vehicle, not the English one!

I like the cut-in-half Centurion, and all the Centurion displays, also the sectioned Ferret,... and last, but not least, my favourites.... The Saracens!, of course!!!:-D;)

The WW1 hall as a whole is quite unique so that must stand, however the Sherman Vc and Porsche KingTiger stick in the memory.....I was only 15 the last time I went... it's a long way from Birmingham, let alone Lincoln!

For me at that time having been interested in WW2 AFVs and read countless books, watched The World at War series and built 1:35 models the Tank Museum offered a means of touching the past. When you are standing next to something as 'small' as a Sherman for the first time you realise just how huge Tanks really are, when one trundles past on the Pathe news that just doesn't come across:D

My favourite has got to be Whippet: two engines, two clutches, two crash gearboxes, two (hand) throttles, steering by shutting the throttle on one engine. How could anyone operate such a thing under operational conditions.

I once talked with David Fletcher of the Tank Museum about this and he said that being a Juggler was a benefit as a driver.

It all gives me a warm feeling. Problem is that by the time I get to the Cold War bit that most floats my boat as it brings back the memories, the feet are tired.

I like looking at the GW vehicles and guessing which one has been next to suddenly acquire a GW Troop 15/19H sticker. I blame an old buddy of mine who spent a lot of his career in GW Troop 15/19H and now works at the museum, but he has never admitted to it.

I also get a particularly warm feeling when I see the cut-down Ferret instruction module. Don't know why, but for much of my time, I crewed Ferrets. Best ride I ever had.

So very hard to choose, its on a par with Duxfords tank museum only with more exhibits!

The outside displays are fantastic, the inside is breath-taking!

The Centurian cut through* is probably my fav, but not to down grade anything else, take a look at those fantastic models nearby!

The staff are so friendly and helpfull as well.

If love Bov, you will love Yeoviltons museum too. (for aircraft)

*Where did they get a big enough circular saw to do that?

167.jpg

168.jpg

Edited by 83KB62

• 5 months later...

I know its an old thread now but I love the inter war stuff, it really helps to explain the story of tank dvelopment when you can see the change from WW1 initial designs to the "modern" design of say the Vickers medium Mk3 design, which is fundamentally how its remainded ever since

that said my favourite item is the Vickers light MkV1 - really brings home the obsolesence of our 1940 equipment: 0.5inch HMG as main gun versus a Panzer's 37mm, yet the tank exudes cavalry elan and I just keep picturing heroic flat out charges across the Libyan desert

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been there in ten years but I do hope to go next year (planning a trip with a bunch of friends). I was just in awe with the whole place. I had never seen a WWI tank before and to see one and then another left me in a state of wonderment for the rest of the afternoon that we were there.

I do hope my trip goes through and this time I will bring my camera.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Can i be a pain and put my favorites into two catergories ?

Favorite ww2 armour there A34 comet, panther, jagdpanther,

and favorite post war Centurion Cheiftain, Chally ,

i would dearly love to get a comet or chieftain as my final restoration but they seem to be as rare as each other :mad:

Edited by afvnut75