Workshop Tips

robin craig

I did search around but could not find anything so here goes for a couple of favourite working practices that were passed down to me by people over the years.

When doing fluid changes on equipment / vehicles, especially if they were a runner when they came in for the work, make sure you can remove the FILL plug before you remove the DRAIN plug. If you dont and the fill does not open you cant refill the cavity and the item is now a non runner.

Always do the side by side check of new parts and dont throw out the old parts until the new are proven to work as you may have to re install the old one.

Thats it for a start

R

Following on from Robin's tip

Put drain plug in before refilling with fluids.

It happens, well my brother did it anyway.

If after a service you cannot get your car to start check socket set box for rotor arm.

Know somebody who did that also, 2 of them scratchin their head for 90 minutes.

Totally agree on the good vacuum. I have one a bit like this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wet-n-Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner/invt/505031

Sucks up everything, nuts bolts, screwdrivers, sockets. Added benefit of works with water.

Also good for blowing clouds of dust everywhere.

Mike

Whenever underneath or under bonnet take the keys out of the ignition and/or disconnect batteries. I have seen to many close calls and fatal instances because of people not doing this. If you need the keys in the ignition and you have a someone helping you make sure they know exactly what they are doing and can hear/see you.

Edited by mash
grammer

I always save all my old plastic pots, butter, spreads, olive's etc.

Then when you are stripping things down, place the nuts/bolts/parts etc in the pots put a strip of masking tape on the lid, write what the bits are for.

Makes it so easy when you re build, and also keeps the work place tidy.

Then once you have finished you can just pull off the tape. :D

mike65

If after a service you cannot get your car to start check socket set box for rotor arm.

Variation on that theme, make sure the air intakes are well sealed before cleaning a motor or around the motor -but remember to remove sealing material before trying to start it up -and make sure the seal can't be sucked in.:( Clean round spark plugs or injectors before removal- plug holes while they are out.

mike65

Totally agree on the good vacuum. I have one a bit like this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wet-n-Dry-Va...er/invt/505031

Yes I got the earlier wicks wet n dry - over 20 years old still going strong:red: -although the orginal base (metal) is starting to rot.

I always save all my old plastic pots, butter, spreads, olive's etc.

I use the aluminium trays from Dog and Cat food cartons. Very useful for keeping small bits in, and also for cleaning paint brushes and paint spayer bits in. Just throw away afterwards.

Buy a good quality jack better to use one thats rated for a higher weight than struggle with a barely suitable jack.

Same goes for Axel stands buy good quality items, the cheap Chinese versions may look the same as those nice expensive ones in Machine Mart but they ain't. I made the mistake of buying a cheap set off ebay ended up welding them.

Thought of another one

Sandblasting cabinets I have one of those type that sits on top of the workbench its the most useless piece of rubbish that I have ever bought, I should have paid a bit more for the bigger type with a hopper beneath.

Engine lifters

Buy one with the legs that fold up vertically for ease of storage when not in use. I bought the 2 ton lifter at the very end of its extension it lifts 1/2 a ton, one of my best buys!

Edited by ferrettkitt

The other old saw: Never put your fingers where you wouldnt put your ....

Don't put down any power tool until the tool has stopped rotating. UNPLUG before changing any tool or disc. Use RCDs on powered equipment.

Newer fuse boxes have RCDs incorporated into the switch so if you test them as you should do it knocks the whole plug circuit off in the house.