International Half Track

Great War truck

I have always wanted one of these. I have driven them, ridden in them and chased a little old lady across a field in one. Brilliant things, i love them to bits.

Why is it then that as soon as WW2 finished the US Army couldnt get rid of them quickly enough and were thrilled to give them all to France and Israel. I have seen a picture of one totally blown to bits by German artillery and the caption indicated that the crews hated them because the armour was just thick enough not to provide any protection from an HE shell, or in fact from anything at all.

Why is it then that the other nations who used them are have only recently got rid of their last ones?

Were the German SDKFZ 251 series as equally problematical, as it would seem that the only post war users of those was Czechoslavakia? Did the German crews like them? Any thoughts anbody?

Tim (too)

Guess the postwar armies where happy with them because they were cheap and better than nothing.

Doesn't give much protection but lots of mobility!

After the war fully tracked vehicles got more mobile and took over the halftracks roles.

The Chech armie used them because they had chassis left from WW2 production which was made in their country anyway. Again cheap and mobile.

Don't forget halftracks weren't designed to withstand heavier calibre MG's, just mobility to get Infantry as fast transported as tanks with protection from small arms fire.

The Armies who used them post war like Holland till the 60-70's probably did that out of economics not for battleworthyness. A mistake was to think of a Halftrack as a sort of light tank - it wasn't. They found that out when used as tankdestroyers in WW2.

A Artillery burst would kill them - no armoured roof!

The Chech did put in a roof after the war...

OK. So, if the US found them unsuitable for direct combat, why did the Israelis hang machine guns all over them. A different kind of war and i would think that thye would be even more vulnerable to the greater technology. Far more suitable for the Engineer role, like that HIAB equipped one that we occasionally see for sale. Did the Israelis learn from the US in WW2, or relearn following the 6 days war. I guess like you say, that they would be delighted to have anything at all really.

Tim (too)