Footman loops

Adrian Barrell

Possibly one of the more common but least noticed part of a vehicle are the footman loops, those things to fasten a strap to.

For some reason there are a large range of types and sizes. Obviously for a given strap size, the width needs to suit but there is a large variation even for a given size.

I first found this out when I restored my M5 HST back in the late 90s. It has 18 loops with a 2" screw pitch. All the available loops were different. Everything from 1 7/8" to 2 1/8" and beyond but nothing that would fit. The particular loops were a distinctive design too so I decided to make them.

Having recently been making some hood hoops for a different vehicle, the same loop, an Eberhard EB-6409B was needed again. In this case, as the hoops were new build, any loop could have been fitted but it was decided to get it right and make some more. Here follows a photo essay of the process.

P1010010.jpg

Edited by Adrian Barrell

That is an amazing process Adrian. I see what you mean about using the copper as a sort of mould!!

Your just too damn clever!!

I guess this means I can pick the hoops up next Thursday or Friday??

I had better find some other items to repro that may tax your ability!!

Edited by P Marriott

How were the originals made? I would have thought castings would have been a quick and easy way of making more rather than fabrication.

The originals were cast steel and indeed that would be the most accurate way to replicate them. However, what with making a pattern and getting them cast in small quantities, making them myself as and when required is easier. Besides, I like a challenge!

Excellent work as usual adrian.

A question about the original "cast" ones, would they be strong enough in aluminium? As it would be easier to cast for the "home d.i.y'er" or would they be too soft? :nut:

And its always good to see your posts, the work you do is great. :-D

Cheers

Shaun

I have often wondered as to the correct name for these fittings. I note you have also refered to them as Eberhard EB-6409B. Was this a part number?

In the Landrover S1 manual they are called a staple.

As the origin is with horse drawn carriages, I take it there would be other names for the same style of fitting.

Some fittings have not changed in use or style for centuries.

Doug

• 2 years later...