M4 high speed tractor even more work to do

sharky

M 4 high sppeed tractor arrived today . This is another restoration project but it will have to join the cue after the sherman and the M8 we're half way thru.

Tractor is currently powered by a detroit diesal which will stay in for now but we will be tracking down a waukeshka engine eventually

cheers for looking

Iain

08022011149.jpg

08022011147.jpg

08022011148.jpg

08022011150.jpg

08022011153.jpg

08022011152.jpg

08022011151.jpg

The first plastic model I ever built, many many moons ago, was of a M4 High Speed Tractor, and I think (If my memory serves me correctly) a 155mm Long Tom gun.

Sweet vehicle.

What's the story behind it? Is it one of the High Speed tractors that arrived from the US some time ago?

Good luck with the resto.

Goran N

The first plastic model I ever built, many many moons ago, was of a M4 High Speed Tractor, and I think (If my memory serves me correctly) a 155mm Long Tom gun.

Sweet vehicle.

What's the story behind it? Is it one of the High Speed tractors that arrived from the US some time ago?

Good luck with the resto.

Goran N

Goran ,

As yet we dont know a great deal about her history but as with most vehicles this tends to come along as you go.

it was apparently brought in from the states over ten yrs ago with diesal conversion and used during filming of band of brothers.She has been modified quite a bit on the cab but this will all be put back to how it should be. She does have dutch(i think) labels inside on dash board,other than that i know no more but i will keep you posted on progress and any more imfo we find

Iain

it was apparently brought in from the states over ten yrs ago with diesal conversion and used during filming of band of brothers.She has been modified quite a bit on the cab but this will all be put back to how it should be. She does have dutch(i think) labels inside on dash board,other than that i know no more but i will keep you posted on progress and any more imfo we find

Iain,

You have a soft spot for ex-Dutch vehicles, it seems - good on you! If you post some pictures of the data plates I can confirm if those are Dutch ones.

IIRC, a large number of ex-MDAP M4 High Speed Tractors used by the Dutch Army ended up at Sam Winer Motors in the US. At one time he was said to have as many as 46!

Regards,

Hanno

Iain,

You have a soft spot for ex-Dutch vehicles, it seems - good on you! If you post some pictures of the data plates I can confirm if those are Dutch ones.

IIRC, a large number of ex-MDAP M4 High Speed Tractors used by the Dutch Army ended up at Sam Winer Motors in the US. At one time he was said to have as many as 46!

Regards,

Hanno

Good evening hanno , yes it does appear that way as we have at least 3 ex dutch vehicles now .

That now now makes sence the sam winer connection .

i havent found any plates yet but not had much chance to look over her properly yet is there any other numbers elsewhere other than the data plate to look out for and best place to look for data plate.

Iain

Hallo Ian!

Congratulation for this M 4!!!

This vehicle is on top of my wishlist! I think it is one of the most impressive US vehicle of WWII. I hope you will keep us informed with the restaurationworks of "The Beast";)

Wish you All the Best!

Peter

Cheers pete she's no beast she a beuty ,amazonian but a beautiful big girl i am lookin forward to this project ;):-D

• 8 months later...

Here's the PTC entry for this M4 HST:

Unique ID 1833: M4 HST, Armourgeddon, Husbands Bosworth

IMG-6617_M4HST_Armourgn_AArchive_c.jpg

Iain: please check it for accuracy and omissions when you can, thanks.

Everyone else: please consider this a status update!

IIRC, a large number of ex-MDAP M4 High Speed Tractors used by the Dutch Army ended up at Sam Winer Motors in the US.

Hanno, do you have a likely or at least representative location for its use in the Netherlands? It's for the map of its previous locations.

Edited by TrevorLarkum

I've added a couple of Iain's pictures of its arrival:

Unique ID 1833: Armourgeddon M4 HST

Iain, where was it directly before it came to you? I try to make each entry as complete and accurate as possible (it may also help with value since it gives each vehicle provenance, like an Old Master!).

Edited by TrevorLarkum

Before you all get carried away in buying the 40 HSTs ,they are meant to be in a very rough state , no engines or transmissions or rear bodies !!! ,then you have got to transport them to the docks and then import them to the uk with a rather large shipping bill , you might be better in leaving your 7 grand in your pocket .

Before you all get carried away in buying the 40 HSTs ,they are meant to be in a very rough state , no engines or transmissions or rear bodies !!! ,then you have got to transport them to the docks and then import them to the uk with a rather large shipping bill , you might be better in leaving your 7 grand in your pocket .

my thoughts exactly its never as simply as handing over the money and your vehicle turning up next week as many people on here will testify .

Then there is the small restoration bill !!!!!

iain

ill try to make a compleate list of everything they have laying around outside, I'll concentrate on the HST's, light and heavy duty trucks and variations, light vehicles and variations, plant/machinery; then engines, transmissions, transfer cases, PTO's, axles, and winches. I'll also try to obtain at least a partial list of their N.O.S stock and whatever else they have in that warehouse.

Anyone want me to ask about anything in-particular??

Edited by Pavy8