Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: buried and abandoned tanks

Default Re: buried and abandoned tanks

I heard that there are a load of "still in their crates" jeeps buried at the old army camp in Taunton Devon.

Thats all I've ever heard about (apart from the king tiger parked at the bottom of my garden)

Paul
    ferret mk 1/2
    Green Goddess
    Saracen mk 5 ACV

2. Advertisement

There is also supposed to be the Renault FT buried in The Channel Islands. That project has gone quiet at the moment as a lot of persuasion has to be done to allow a proper survey of the site.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

there are of course the feldom wrecks, which has both buried and abandoned tanks. for those that aren't aware feldom is a disused infantry anti-tank range in yorkshire and has several wrecks modern and ww2, there's 3 churchill hulls on the surface and one mk 7 buried. rob nixon recovered a sherman from there and also uncovered the churchill, there's a post on the forum if you type in feldom you'll see rob's pics and here's a few of my own
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg  

012.jpg  

010.jpg  

Eddy8men AKA Rick Wedlock
    ----------------------------------------------------

1941 MK 1* Universal carrier
    1942 MK 1* universal carrier
    1941 MK 4 Churchill AVRE
    1944 MK 6 Cromwell = NOW SOLD
    1944 Chev C15A
    1984 Bedford TM CALM
    1958 MK5 centurion
    19?? MK3 centurion

Maybe 15 years ago I was told by a chap, who I will not name, that there was a buried tank somewhere at Woodcock Hill Industrial Estate. The tank was apparently pushed over a edge
    into some clay diggings. Google earthing the location WD3 1PQ does not show a area that this
    could be it. The tank was a Cromwell or Comet
    Anyone know more ?

bob i know parts for the cromwell are hard to come by but isn't there an easier way of getting hold of them

eddy
    Eddy8men AKA Rick Wedlock
    ----------------------------------------------------

1941 MK 1* Universal carrier
    1942 MK 1* universal carrier
    1941 MK 4 Churchill AVRE
    1944 MK 6 Cromwell = NOW SOLD
    1944 Chev C15A
    1984 Bedford TM CALM
    1958 MK5 centurion
    19?? MK3 centurion

eddy8men
    ....but isn't there an easier way of getting hold of them
    Well it is RICKmansworth might be an omen

Steve

In the past couple of years a Sherman DD was uncovered on Salisbury plain near Imber village when a training trench system was being dug, this was reported in the local paper, but where did it go? Bovington maybe? There is a rumour that a lot of vehicles were buried near Imber after the war, and if you look on Google earth you will find that a large section of the valley has been filled in. There is absolutely no chance of excavating these as they are in an active training area with a major road junction over it.
    About 5 years ago I was visiting my folks in North Yorkshire and there was a bit in the local paper that someone had been given permission to dig up a tank on Fylingdales moor, near the early warning station. I know that area is rather boggy, did this tank get recovered?

Re 'Jeeps in crates' I was under the impression that there were 2 main vehicle assembly parks in England in WW2, Ashchurhc & Tidworth, so I find it rather strange that Jeeps, Harleys etc. were delivered to units still in crates to be assembled and readied for use. I have also heard about the Jeeps buried in Taunton, but that was the one in Somerset. I do know that there is 2 Jeeps in a lake in Westbury where I live as they have been located by Bath sub aqua club. There are 2 stories as to how they ended up in the lake, one is that the US troops staioned in Westbury drove them in when returning from the pub, the other is that they were abandoned next to the lake and local youths pushed them in.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwardle View Post
    In the past couple of years a Sherman DD was uncovered on Salisbury plain near Imber village when a training trench system was being dug, this was reported in the local paper, but where did it go? Bovington maybe? There is a rumour that a lot of vehicles were buried near Imber after the war, and if you look on Google earth you will find that a large section of the valley has been filled in. There is absolutely no chance of excavating these as they are in an active training area with a major road junction over it.
    About 5 years ago I was visiting my folks in North Yorkshire and there was a bit in the local paper that someone had been given permission to dig up a tank on Fylingdales moor, near the early warning station. I know that area is rather boggy, did this tank get recovered?
    Are you sure a Sherman DD? a Sherman BARV was recovered from Salisbury two years ago and now sits in Bovington rusting away. Recovered for the museum to use as colateral, not for restoration.

johnwardle
    In the past couple of years a Sherman DD was uncovered on Salisbury plain near Imber village when a training trench system was being dug, this was reported in the local paper, but where did it go? Bovington maybe?
    One of the tanks found at Battlesbury Bowl was a turretless Sherman DD -it has to be remembered that DD survived into the 1950s -some even received Post War registration. There was another Sherman DD -a M4A1 on SPTA as a none buried target. The Battlesbury burial probably took place in the mid to late 1950s at least one Churchill AVRE was numbered 45ZR00.

I think the theory of relativity is having an effect here- if it is the same tank it was proposed as far back as 1998-99 by North of england military heritage -or a similarly named probably erstwhile group, the story was that they believed they had found the site of a tank sinking - traces of oil-petrol or fuel oil was leaking to the surface. Whether there was a tank in there was debateable -it could have been recovered shortly after bogging down and the leaking oil could be due to the loss of the long range fuel tank off the rear hull -common on Covenanters and Churchill but also fitted to Valentines on the track guard, anyway as far as I am aware English Heritage, the SSSI council and of course the MOD (very sensitive area) were none too accomodating -of course they may have relented- but I doubt it.

There was a long standing story (going back to the 1990s) of various attempts to recover a Valentine in Fife -but I've not heard anything further.

Another Story is of a Covenantor sunk at the old Midhope ranges -west of Sheffield, but difficult to researcxh as the owners of the site (no names no packdrill) are very pro-active in keeping people off the site -possibly more to do with enviromental protesters though. the story goes that it was a Polish vehicle but no-one has found mention in any of the Polish War Diaries -although I would imagine the original Polish War diary is very different than that sent to the WD -apart from that the Poles were vere street smart -I hardly think they would have reported the loss of a Cov. esp. as such a loss should have been rewarded with a 48hour leave pass

Steve

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information