buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's probably the same one(s) but I can remember back in the 1980s looking at a Nat Geo magazine and in the article about Antarctica, they showed a pair of turretless M2(?) combat cars that were left behind at some abandoned outpost. One was on it's side. I've been told there's lots of that stuff laying around up in Alaska as well.

Matt

It's probably the same one(s) but I can remember back in the 1980s looking at a Nat Geo magazine and in the article about Antarctica, they showed a pair of turretless M2(?) combat cars that were left behind at some abandoned outpost. One was on it's side. I've been told there's lots of that stuff laying around up in Alaska as well.

Matt

Id holiday there!

These bits are from my local beach. A piece of LVT track and remains of an M4A4 Crab. The crab was clearing mines in 1946 when (so the story goes) it sank, the army shot at it a few times and blew bits off it with various demolition charges then cut it off just above the track/ground level, and left it. It was only visible at very low tides until excavated in the mid 1970`s, dad cut these few bits off before the rest was scrapped, oh the benefit of hindsight! Though the escape hatch will be fitted to our M4A4 one day.

LVT TRACK.jpg

Crab 011.jpg

Was that Saunton sands?

It was Chris, from the hotel/car park end about a mile or so up the beach where it starts to bend round into the estuary. I`ll quiz the "old man" and see if we could find the spot, as the Devon D Day convoy should be driving that part of the beach (nearer the shore) on it`s tour of the training area.

These bits are from my local beach. A piece of LVT track and remains of an M4A4 Crab. The crab was clearing mines in 1946 when (so the story goes) it sank, the army shot at it a few times and blew bits off it with various demolition charges then cut it off just above the track/ground level, and left it. It was only visible at very low tides until excavated in the mid 1970`s, dad cut these few bits off before the rest was scrapped, oh the benefit of hindsight! Though the escape hatch will be fitted to our M4A4 one day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102932[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102933[/ATTACH]

Nice escape hatch... if you ever find yourself not wanting it (unlikely I think) it's on my "needs" list.

Tim

Sorry if this has been seen here before - I did search for mention of "Titchwell Beach" and found nothing...

Remains_of_two_cruiser_tanks_on_beach_at_Titchwell.jpg

Probably too well gone for restoration of spares?

Not mine... borrowed from here... which has some interesting info about WW2 AFV ranges (Boyton and Titchwell) and other mil stuff.

http://pdboyinsuffolk.blogspot.com/

Tim

Nice pictures, and is that a scammel!

Any idea what happened to all those bits?

trevor

Yes, the Scammel was still a popular recovery truck in the 70`s, there were two or three within a few miles of here back then. Sadly the rest of the tank was scrapped.

Matt

It's the US East Base on Stonington Island in the Antarctic peninsula. Richard Byrd took the tanks out there to experiment with using them as tracked tractors. I think there are two M2A2s and a T3E1 tracked carrier.

• 1 month later...