road registering a phgv

When I had my Leyland Daf 4 tonner registered it was MOTed first using the chassis number, then registered with DVLA. You now have to send the documents to DVLA to get a registration number as they will no longer supply it at their local offices. Remember as a Saxon weighs over 7.5 Tonnes you will need a HGV licence to drive it on the road

Hi want to road register if Possible a saxon patrol . there is a basic weight plate in the vehicle ,

do I need to MOT it before registering and can it be tested if it isnt on vosas system .

all help greatly appreciated

You could possibly be getting into non compliance with C and U regs. I would have thought bare minimum it needs side and rear under-run bars. What year did your one go into service?

The lack of any front bumper as such might cause compliance problems. (or does it have a Northern Ireland style "five bar gate?")

Since usually they have crew of two and seats for ten squaddies maybe they will think it should be PSV. Plus point, you can use bus lanes,,, minus points you'll need a PCV driving licence to do so!

And again there are questions about visibility, blind spots and the like, The height of the lights needs checking also, this may well not comply with Cand U and you may have problems.

On the bright side, no width issues and being lorry component based, braking system is probably up to C and U. Good Luck.

Some N.I.Saxons had side and rear bars, but even then the gap left looks too big to comply,

uk_at_105_saxon_patrol-001-1.jpg

has yours already got bars?

Edited by antarmike