Volkswagens used by the British Army

keithvipond

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith,

It is absolutely fantastic to see NMP back on the road after all these years- you have done a great job. I hope I get to see it at some VW shows this year.

Like Keith, I also own an ex-Forces Volkswagen. Mine is a US Army car dating from September 1947...

43TEV.JPG

43TEV-1.JPG

Rich.

While I understand what is meant, it's slightly misleading, the Beetle was designed by Mr. Porsche, it was never a Porsche, though early Porsche (the brand did not emerge till the fifties) where based on the Beetle.

jch

Porche did not design the Beetle alone, he copied the ideas from Tatra!

Wikipedia again

Tatra and the Volkswagen Beetle

Both Hitler and Porsche were influenced by the Tatras.[4] Hitler was a keen automotive enthusiast, and had ridden in Tatras during political tours of Czechoslovakia.[4] He had also dined numerous times with Ledwinka.[4] After one of these dinners Hitler remarked to Porsche, "This is the car for my roads".[4][5] From 1933 onwards, Ledwinka and Porsche met regularly to discuss their designs,[6] and Porsche admitted "Well, sometimes I looked over his shoulder and sometimes he looked over mine" while designing the Volkswagen.[4][5] There is no doubt that the Beetle bore a striking resemblance to the Tatras, particularly the Tatra V570.[4] The Tatra T97 of 1936 had a rear-located, rear-wheel drive, air-cooled four cylinder boxer engine accommodating four passengers and providing luggage storage under the front bonnet and behind the rear seat. Among other similarities also found in the Beetle is the central structural tunnel. Tatra launched a lawsuit, but this was stopped when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. At the same time, Tatra was forced to stop producing the T97. The matter was re-opened after World War II and in 1961 Volkswagen paid Ringhoffer-Tatra 3,000,000 Deutsche Marks in an out of court settlement.[4][5]

Why do some companies get all the merits for a design when its a copy!

Doug:-)

Doug,

Good post

nz2

Why do some companies get all the merits for a design when its a copy!

Possibly lots of reasons -the British in particular have an admiration for German craftsmanship it's not for anything that "vorsprung durch technik" is used as a slogan by Audi the British suck it up, coupled with the British belief that everything German in WW2 was better than anything the British had -the reason it took 6 years to overcome them -Tirpitz-tiger tank-88mm guns Mercedes-ME109 and FW190 and of course the airfix generation all has a lot to answer for.

On the other hand Czechoslovakia was a country to quote our then august PM Nieville Chamberlian that "we know little of and care less" and that goes for czech manufacturing and vehicles, Czech industrial standards in the inter war period were probably the best in Europe on a par with Sweden and Switzerland, but today Skoda is still a laughing stock in this country although pre-war vehicles were better than almost any and outside a few people who knew the trucks Tatra is virtually unknown. -Even today mention Tatra and people will think your mis prouncing Tata.

Mind I got to admit I like Rich Oakleys VW Beetle it is realy quite something.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
can't spell tatra

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43079[/ATTACH]

Just bought some stuff from auction, in amongst was this pic of British Army Beetle.

On reverse says, " Mike & ? with the Volkswagon. 75 Bty, May '54".

Just as a matter of interest 75Bty was part of 48 regiment from APR 1947-Feb 1959

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not Army, but RAF, looks like roundel on front to me anyway. Bridge plate on offside, Roundel nearside, Union Flag above roundel?

Taken at scene of a 1958 Supermarine Swift undercarriage related mishap at RAF Jever.

swiftbeetles.jpg

Edited by antarmike

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I have started an album for VW's in Army/RAF service. It isn't an interest of mine, but as I hunt for postwar British jeep photos I often come across images of them, and they seem quite a rarity, thought it was worth getting an album together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishjeep/albums/with/72157683963117615

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I have started an album for VW's in Army/RAF service. It isn't an interest of mine, but as I hunt for postwar British jeep photos I often come across images of them, and they seem quite a rarity, thought it was worth getting an album together.

The one with the tanks next to it is a very nice one.

Good find on those photo's.

Thanks for aharing.