Severe pain in the wallet.

Degsy

Attempted to get up the hill to the farm this morning in my Defender 90 after we had another 6-8" of fresh snow on top of packed snow/ice, failed miserably in the first 30 yards so it was time to bite the bullet and change tyres. I normally run on Pro Comp 285 75 16 mud tyres but they are less use than a chocolate fireguard on snow. So off to the tyre house for a set of 235 85 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's . Real result, transformed the vehicle drove straight up the hill without any dramas. All the roads around the farm have very steep twisting hills but I was able to go everywhere with no problems at all and steered better than I have known any 4X4 I have owned or driven on many different types of tyres. Only drawback.................. the b----y bill:argh:

Edited by Degsy

Attempted to get up the hill to the farm this morning in my Defender 90 after we had another 6-8" of fresh snow on top of paced snow/ice, failed miserably in the first 30 yards so it was time to bite the bullet and change tyres. I normally run on Pro Comp 285 75 16 mud tyres but they are less use than a chocolate fireguard on snow. So off to the tyre house for a set of 235 85 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's . Real result, transformed the vehicle drove straight up the hill without any dramas. All the roads around the farm have very steep twisting hills but I was able to go everywhere with no problems at all and steered better than I have known any 4X4 I have owned or driven on many different types of tyres. Only drawback.................. the b----y bill:argh:

Degsy you can't put a price on your own safety mate! or the cost of repairs/ policy excess these days... ;)

Attempted to get up the hill to the farm this morning in my Defender 90 after we had another 6-8" of fresh snow on top of paced snow/ice, failed miserably in the first 30 yards so it was time to bite the bullet and change tyres. I normally run on Pro Comp 285 75 16 mud tyres but they are less use than a chocolate fireguard on snow. So off to the tyre house for a set of 235 85 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's . Real result, transformed the vehicle drove straight up the hill without any dramas. All the roads around the farm have very steep twisting hills but I was able to go everywhere with no problems at all and steered better than I have known any 4X4 I have owned or driven on many different types of tyres. Only drawback.................. the b----y bill:argh:

as always the bill

I was talking genrally with people at work last night. The subject of vehicles with light back ends came up. A Scottish Guy Kevin came up with one of those simple answers that made me think, 'Why didn't I think of that? Stick four bag of builders sand in the back. The ballast helps and if you do get stuck. You can spread the sand to get grip.:banghead: I have to say I've been moaning the Discovery is not a Range Rover, but she hasn't let me down. Got the winch fitted now as well, will be out on the prowl looking for people to get stuck. (Proably a BMW on thin slick racing rubber bands)

Edited by Tony B

I was talking genrally with people at work last night. The subject of vehicles with light back ends came up. A Scottish Guy Kevin came up with one of those simple answers that made me think, 'Why didn't I think of that? Stick four bag of builders sand in the back. The ballast helps and if you do get stuck. You can spread the sand to get grip.:banghead: I have to say I've been moaning the Discovery is not a Range Rover, but she hasn't let me down. Got the winch fitted now as well, will be out on the prowl looking for people to get stuck. (Proably a BMW on thin slick racing rubber bands)

That trick has been around many years now, ask anyone who has owned a capri, always have a bag of cement or similar in the back.

In my youth I had a 2.8i Capri and can say without a doubt that when it snowed it would have moved no where without the snowchains I had for it ! Only problem is you have to find a completely snowbound route to get to work or risk taking them off before you have reached journeys end ! Happy days ! Makes me feel old now ! :D

That trick has been around many years now, ask anyone who has owned a capri, always have a bag of cement or similar in the back.

When it snowed used to steal the weight of the front of a tractor to put in the rear of the boot. Helped a bit, but not on the farm drive. tight 90 degree right bend followed immediatel by a steep left hand hill. A bit of drifting on the righthander helped, as even with the weight you could not touch the throttle pedal.

Mike

Proper winter tyres can transform any vehicle in bad weather but you try getting hold of some at the moment.....None in the country.

Unless anyone knows where I can get hold of some 195 55 R15's

Try Germany.

Bloke at work got his sent over from Germany. He waited 2 months for a UK supply gave up and got the others delivered and fitted within 2 weeks.

Mike

Try Germany.

Bloke at work got his sent over from Germany. He waited 2 months for a UK supply gave up and got the others delivered and fitted within 2 weeks.

Mike

you'll be lucky there is a shortage of tyres over here at the moment because of new laws passed this year.

It snowed heavy here on saturday night about 9 to 12" :shocked:so i had to make my non essential fun trips out in the landy. On tuesday we decided to spend 20 mins digging the peugot 106 out of the little pile of snow it was buried in.:sweat: We the slitherd down the sheet ice lane down the slippery hill of doom and then drove the 1 mile of solid ice to the half ploughed main road and then on to chester shopping, Her indoors wanted to have a go driving in the snow for the first time since she passed her test last year:rolleyes: so i let her drive home all the way including up the icy lane, up the slippery hill of doom in third and back up the drive in the dark.

I got the honda out today cos i thought it should really have a run.

If i had not had the landy i would have been "snowed in" for a devistating 3 days (i could have asked the farmer down the road to clear the drive with his loader if i was desperate) I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to go out and buy a second set of tyres or a 4x4 just for what is at the most a few days of snow. I might mension we have had no post since last friday but the water board men have been up every day twice in a 4x4 and the rest of the time in a vauxhall corsa thing.

My mate in blaenau has had about 15" of snow but missed one day of work due to a lack of interest in digging the car out. He is now mobile but his neighbours are still "snowed in"

For me buying a set of winter tyres for 4 days of the year is out of the question i it would be cheaper for me to miss work and use the same tyres i use for the other 361 days

My dad use to have this in the boot of his morris oxford to keep it on the road, whilst driving from Blackpool to Katterick in winter from 1961-63 (national service)......

crumbs i now winter were harsh back then but i never knew they lasted 2 years:D

Got a set of these on the old landy and have merily been blasting through drifts to the top of the bonnet. Even managed a three point turn in knee deep fresh snow. (Due to a rather huge drift that even i decided was way to huge):shocked: on ice they are bloody rubbish!

insa turbo.jpg

Unfortunately the peugot was cost £300 and the honda is now worth aBout the same so they aint much cheaper than a new vehicle. We were not going fast enough for A and E.

Your snow tyres aint much help if the 30 ton lorry sliding towards you hasn't got any:embarrassed: