A grand day out.

Guess where i went today. Here is a clue:

The lettering is a bit puzzling, but I do note a Pyrene fire extinguisher bracket and a glimpse of bradied steel cable conduit, so think it could be something armoured....Tank Museum perhaps?

Just noticed the aerial mount, quite a late one and British, so getting warmer.

Edited by Richard Farrant
more

Isnt it grand to know that original examples of what we supposed to be extinct items such as Foxes are actually still in the system and in captivity. Expect to see that come through Withams in 10 years time?

01 GM 32 from what I remember served in the Berlin brigade, I will have to dig up some info on that one.

Thanks for posting, nice Engessa 6 X 6 or at least what I think is one outside in the parking lot.

What is the curious FWAL marking on some of the kit and whats with the sleek boat, spill the beans chum, tell us more.

R

They might be having another clear out sometime. Their Abbot has only just gone to Withams. A shame. The Harrier is chained to a massive block of concrete. probably to stop some kids running off with it.

Lots of other interesting stuff around the other side. There was a bridge layer there, although if it was an m2 or not i dont know. Something else under a big taurpalin.

• 2 weeks later...

If you arrange a visit to the Small Arms Collection at the Land Warfare Centre at Warminster which houses the largest collection of small (and not so small) arms in the UK, these include every weapon used by the British Army and a vast amount from foreign armies and are all live, you can handle most of the weapons on display, the only ones under glass are the very rare ones, they even encourage you to handle them and even strip some down, the only proviso is that you do not leave them cocked. This Collection is not classed as a museum as it is still used as a training aid for the army. Small groups can visit by contacting Major Bailey or Peter Laidler at the Land Warfare Centre, there is no fixed admission charge but a donation of £5.00 each is suggested. A word of warning do not visit if you are short of time youcan easily spend a full day in this collection

The armaments depot at Priddy's Hard near Gosport used to have a similar arrangement where you could wander in and freely play with their extensive small arms collection. Unfortunately now that it's open to the public as the Explosion! museum they've had to remove them all ... :cry:

Andy