A Brace of No 27 Ammunition Limbers.

I have recently taken delivery of a couple of No 27 Ammunition Trailers of which one will be restored for a Museum.

The other I am restoring for my 17 pdr A/T Gun,after some research it seems quite a few 17 pdr's were towed behind the No 27 Limber but did not carry the Ammunition for the gun.

I would assume due to the weight of the piece the limber was used to act purely as a brake.

Any other idea's ?

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

DSCF4022 (2).jpg

DSCF4021 (2).jpg

DSCF4024 (2).jpg

Rob, You did VERY well to source these! They are EXCEEEDINGLY scarce these days!

I was aware of a SMALL number imported by A.F Budge a few years ago when they were still trading. But a lot were destroyed after the war for scrap. When you think about it, that makes sense, because in reality. What CAN you do with such a large trailer with a small load area & awkward access by rear doors! Hence unpopular in the past & scrapped! Well done Mate!

• 2 months later...

Managed to get some time in recently on the Limber projects so here are some pics of fabricated parts.

The wheel arches were made by a guy over in Driffield,they are exact copies of the originals and made the old fashioned way. I have had some parts cast from originals and they also turned out quite well.

Rob.........rnixartillery.

pencil.png

DSCF4819.jpg

DSCF4820.jpg

DSCF4792.jpg

DSCF4818.jpg

DSCF4793.jpg

DSCF4798.jpg

DSCF4799.jpg

rnixartillery

Quite right Mike,I bought one of my other limbers from Budge back in the day,I paid £200 for it and I had choice from dozens

I remember them in 1989 at the north end of the compound behind the cable factory, so many that a wall had been built of them about 4 or 5 high! again so commonplace they seemed I didn't bother to photograph it - I wanted to see the PBV 301 -there were a fair few Cents too

as you say

If you knew then what you know now !!!
excellent bit of fabrication.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made a bit more progress to the limber having cut the rot out and renewed the panels.Strange that the back of the limber has gone which would indicate that it has been stood up for quite some time,possibly how it has been stored !

Rob........................rnixartillery.

DSCF4929.jpg

DSCF4921.jpg

DSCF5143.jpg

• 4 months later...

I managed to get the limber in to the sandblasters a couple of weeks ago and it typicaly decided to piss down when I had to collect it so it was touch and go getting it back home nice and dry.

The guy did such a good job basting it I had a job getting it sealed up with primer,could do with a paint gun that sprays around corners !

Anyway I managed to steam on with the project so I have welded the new floor section in and started to re-assembly the limber from the large pile of parts.Fitted the new wheel arches aswell so things are "looking good",when this one is done I have the whole process to do again..................Oh what fun !

Rob...................rnixartillery.

DSCF6101.jpg

DSCF6517.jpg

DSCF6521.jpg

Looks good rob, did the limber hook onto the vehicle and the gun on to the limber...or were the limbers towed separately, must have been a heavy combination when bombed up. I read an account of a 6 pdr crew trying trying to use a 17 pdr in Normandy, they found it abandoned after there 6 pdr had been put out of action, but it was just to heavy to man handle into position!

Any chance of some photos of the 6 pdr equipment, e.g. Ammo bins, ammunition, cleanin kit etc... Need to know what to look out for when equipping the Loyd.

Edited by ajmac

Looks good rob, did the limber hook onto the vehicle and the gun on to the limber...or were the limbers towed separately, must have been a heavy combination when bombed up.

Any chance of some photos of the 6 pdr equipment,e.g. Ammo bins, ammunition, cleanin kit etc... Need to know what to look out for when equipping the Loyd.

Thats right,the limber carried 32 rounds of 25 pdr projectiles + cases and a collection of kit in the front limber tray,some limbers also carried a firing platform and a spare hub on top so it would be very heavy alone with out the gun being attached.

I have read that they regularly had to replace the tow hooks on the quad and limber through excessive wear.

I will try and get some snaps of the 6 pdr kit I have and upload it on my 6 pdr thread.

Rob.................rnixartillery.

• 1 month later...

Well,went for the final push today and managed to paint the limber.turned out to be a bit of a twat to paint because of the amount of angles and surfaces and I think it took about four hours so I am hoping I got it all :undecided:.

It has turned out to be quite a task with this one partly due to the unforseen work involved and the fact that the limber really was in such poor condition,but taking into account how rare these limbers are becoming I think it was worth the effort even though I am doing the work for charity.

Hopefully it will be completed in a couple of weeks and returned to its owner and then I have it all to do again on the next limber..........oh what fun !

some pics of the project.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

DSCF4025.jpg

DSCF4106.jpg

DSCF4105.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

Hi Rob

A stunning job as ever - well done. However, if you have a gun and limber is there not a danger that you will need to break your cardinal rule and buy a vehicle to tow it behind..!?

Cheers

Hi Tim

How are things with you ? vehicles................naa, I've given those up .too much maintenance involved :nut:

I have two 25 pdr's and limbers here at the moment but I have a very special project I am puting together which will be a one off ! if I can muster the parts. :cool2:

Rob...................rnixartillery