cromwell on the road for A & E 2012

eddy8men

hi fella's

i was wondering whether it would be possible to get my cromwell on the road for A&E 2012, i could get round the steel track problem by fitting 432 tracks onto it, i might have to change the sprokets though as the original tracks are 11 1/2" wide at the point where the track and sprocket meet and the 432 tracks are 11" but it looks pretty straight forward. so assuming it could be done that leaves the legallities to sort out ie. i doubt i could get the cromwell registered for road use but could i get a one off right to use it, maybe something from the council, local police force or a letter from my mum ? what do you think. it's got to be worth a try to get a bit more british armour out there on show.

eddy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi john

it's not enthusiasm it's blind optimism but whatever you call it it's got me this far, as for the 432 track and sprockets i'm interested but don't go dragging them out the garage just yet as there's a few minor details to sort out first :D

eddy

Eddy

sounds good m8, how you'll get on I'm not sure. As to the Cromwell on the road unless there is some legal president which states that you cannot register this vehicle for the public highway, then I can't see why not. I've seen many a pictures of British tanks with steel tracks on British roads especially on the build up to D-Day so unless there has been a retrospective change in the law then all should be O. K. as most laws regarding vehicle are not retrospective its normally from a certain date onwards. As far as I'm aware its not the steel tracks which are the problem, its more the perceived damage that they cause to the public highway, the fact that rubber can do just as much if not more damage seems to have passed the highways agency by the by. Also even today you still see plenty of steel tracked plant vehicles on the road, so that must be some legal way around this, and talking of excavators ;) maybe a bit of legal digging is required on this one as to how large plant contractors manage to get around this issue.

Nige H

As far as I'm aware its not the steel tracks which are the problem, its more the perceived damage that they cause to the public highway, the fact that rubber can do just as much if not more damage seems to have passed the highways agency by the by. Also even today you still see plenty of steel tracked plant vehicles on the road, so that must be some legal way around this, and talking of excavators ;) maybe a bit of legal digging is required on this one as to how large plant contractors manage to get around this issue.

As a regular driver of steel tracked excavators, steel tracks do cause a lot of damage to tarmac surfaces, and all surfaces for that matter. There are ways of limiting the damage, by doing slow gentle turns etc. Rubber tracks do still screw the ground up but not to nearly the same extent as steel particularly on concrete or tarmac. While yes, you do see excavators by the side/on the road, all the ones I have seen recently either have rubber tracks or steel tracks with rubber pads bolted to the track shoes. Whether this is to limit the damage the contractors vehicles cause to the road (which they would then have to repair at cost to themselves) or because thats what the law says I'm not 100% sure but I would imagine its the latter. Probably one of the reasons for the wheeled 360 excavators 'rubber ducks' being so popular for roadwork.

James

:idea:Probably the transmission and motor out of a Datsun 100 -one driving each track:rofl:

Hey that was my first car! Used to drive it down the farm track to the pub which was at the end of the track - one night after drinking to many pints of Piddle with my chums Huffy, Stump and Trunky I forgot to straddle the ruts....I kinda killed my Datsun :(

hi fella's

thanks for taking the time to reply, the cromwell will be original but probably not done as a mk 6, i would prefer a gun tank so if i can get hold of a 75mm or 6 pdr gun that would be my prefered option and yes the engine will be a meteor not something from a datsun and as a token of good will from the purists i'd appreciate a whip round for the petrol money:D

my plan is to use the turret and ring from the centaur and nail it onto the charioteer then chuck a bit of green paint at it and it's job done, well that's the theory anyway, my real concern is the width of the thing and all that c & u bumph, i tried to get my head round the regs but gave up after the third paragraph and owing to the fact that it's 10 ft wide i don't think it would get past the dvla so is there a way to get it on the road for a & e.

cheers

eddy

hi fella's

thanks for taking the time to reply, the cromwell will be original but probably not done as a mk 6, i would prefer a gun tank so if i can get hold of a 75mm or 6 pdr gun that would be my prefered option and yes the engine will be a meteor not something from a datsun and as a token of good will from the purists i'd appreciate a whip round for the petrol money:D

my plan is to use the turret and ring from the centaur and nail it onto the charioteer then chuck a bit of green paint at it and it's job done, well that's the theory anyway, my real concern is the width of the thing and all that c & u bumph, i tried to get my head round the regs but gave up after the third paragraph and owing to the fact that it's 10 ft wide i don't think it would get past the dvla so is there a way to get it on the road for a & e.

cheers

eddy

What size of nails will you be using?

B&Q do trade packs :nut: and metric nuts and bolts just to annoy the purists:cool2:

i tried to get my head round the regs but gave up after the third paragraph and owing to the fact that it's 10 ft wide i don't think it would get past the dvla so is there a way to get it on the road for a & e.

See this link - if you get an individual vehicle special authorisation you're OK. They issue them for carnival floats, might be worth a try?

Stone

hi fella's

the latest plan for the cromwell is to remove the engine and box and get them looked at, i'd hoped to chuck a bit of fuel down the carb and bump it. (you can take the man out of the REME but you can't take the REME out of the man) but it seems this is too risky and could damage the engine so i'll have to be boring and do it by the book although i have to concede this is the best course of action and in the long run will make for a more pleasureable experience of owning the beast it just seems so long winded and potentially expensive but hey it's only money :D

all the best

eddy

hi fella's

the latest plan for the cromwell is to remove the engine and box and get them looked at, i'd hoped to chuck a bit of fuel down the carb and bump it. (you can take the man out of the REME but you can't take the REME out of the man) but it seems this is too risky and could damage the engine so i'll have to be boring and do it by the book although i have to concede this is the best course of action and in the long run will make for a more pleasureable experience of owning the beast it just seems so long winded and potentially expensive but hey it's only money :D

all the best

eddy

Good advice that it will save you money in the long run. Good time to to clean the engine bay out and get at any of the electrical system.